Power factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fletcher

Hello, I am a student and taking a general class on mechanical systems.

Right now we are covering electrical systems. One of my homework questions is. "Can the power factor of a building be improved? If so, how?" I think the answer is, yes, by adjusting the ratios.

I assume we are talking about 3 phase here. Don't be too technical in you explanation please, I am not an electrician.

If it helps......the question BEFORE the one above is, "is it a good idea to maintain a high power factor in a building?" I said yes, because it is more useful power.

Thanks for an info. The people here are very helpful.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You are basically correct in your answer. Power factor is the ratio between "real" and "apparent" power and is expressed as the ratio of KW to KVA. We typically adjust this ratio by installing capacitors.

The goal is "unity" power factor or 1.0. Anything less gets progressively less efficient and costs more money in operating costs as well as possible penalties from the power company.

Hope this helps.

fletcher

ratios

ratios

I guess I thought it had something to do with phasing and power tirangle which the book also talks about in this section.

the books talks about power angles of .866 and load circuits of 30 degrees. I guess I thought there was a way to adjust it to increase the power.

I guess the common sense answer would be to put in a bigger transformer at the pole.

Remember, I am not an electrician!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Here is an essay I wrote a year or so ago. It was an attempt to explain the nature of "apparent power," as opposed to "real power" and "reactive power." I intended it to be a bit more technical than the "beer and foam" analogy, without getting too technical, and without using any math.

For those who haven't hear of the "beer and foam analogy," it goes like this:
  • Pour yourself a glass of beer. You will notice that most of the glass will contain liquid, but there will be some amount of foam at the top. No matter how carefully you pour, it is nearly impossible to avoid getting some amount of foam.
  • "Real power" is like the liquid, the beer itself. Just as the liquid is the stuff you intended to drink, "real power" represents the useful work that you intend to get out of your machine.
  • "Reactive power" is like the foam. You don't want it, but you can't get a glass of beer without it.
  • "Apparent power" represents the entire contents of the glass (i.e., the beer plus the foam).
  • Let's use a glass that is more than big enough to handle the bottle of beer that we will pour into the glass. Let's suppose that when you pour, you get a lot of foam. Take note of how much of the glass is used up by having about 12 ounces of liquid and a lot of foam.
  • There are tricks and techniques that you can use, in order to reduce the amount of foam in the glass, and thereby reduce the total amount of space taken up within the glass.
  • If you use one of these techniques, and if you end up with much less foam, take note of how much of the glass is used up by having about 12 ounces of liquid and a very little foam.
  • You can see that by taking steps to reduce the foam (i.e., the "reactive power"), you also reduce the total space used up within the glass (i.e., the "apparent power"), without having any impact on the amount of liquid within the glass (i.e., the "real power").
Now let's turn technical. Motors, generators, fluorescent light ballasts, welders, and a host of other loads are "inductive" in nature. Capacitor banks and synchronous generators are "capacitive" in nature. The two have opposite effects on a power system.

The overall load on most power systems, indeed in most buildings, is inductive, rather than capacitive, in nature. It is a common practice to use banks of capacitors to reduce the inductive nature of the overall load. The ideal situation is to have the two just exactly cancel each other out. But load varies from moment to moment, so you can't achieve a perfect balance.

Here is one way of looking at the effect of adding a capacitor bank to a building:
  • Wrap a wire around a nail and connect it to a battery. What you get is not just a magnet, it is also a magnetic field. A generator and a motor have this same type of magnetic field. So does any load that is ?inductive? in nature.
  • Place two metal plates close together and connect them to a battery. What you get is not just a capacitor, it is also an electric field.
  • When you connect a motor to a generator (or to a transformer), two things happen. The second thing is that the motor goes roundy-roundy. That is its job; that is the ?real power? being put to use; that is the ?beer.?
  • But the first thing that happens is that the magnetic field of the generator exchanges energy with the magnetic field of the motor. It is in one sense a useless expenditure of energy, in that it doesn?t make the motor go any faster or drive a larger load. But the motor could not work at all, if it were not for that exchange of energy. So it is a "necessary useless" expenditure of energy. It is the ?Reactive Power,? the ?foam.?
  • You get the ?apparent power? by adding the real power to the reactive power. But you add them by treating each as one leg of a right triangle, with the apparent power being the hypotenuse (i.e., use the Pythagorean Theorem).
  • This is one way in which the "beer and foam" analogy falls short of accurately describing the true situation. Four inches of beer plus one inch of foam equals five inches in the glass. The math for apparent power does not work that way. Instead, three units of real power plus four units of reactive power equal five units of apparent power. This, you may recall, is the famous "3-4-5 Right Triangle."
  • What happens when you add the capacitor to the load? Now the magnetic field of the motor will exchange energy with the electric field of the capacitor. It takes the magnetic field of the generator out of the picture. Note that this takes place close to the motor, and that the circuit breaker does not see the current associated with this energy exchange. Result: the current seen by the circuit breaker goes down.
  • This phenomenon is commonly described by saying that the capacitor is canceling out the inductor. More precisely, it is said that the ?leading? reactive power added by the capacitor is opposite to the ?lagging? reactive power of the motor. It can be pictured by taking one leg of a right triangle and shrinking its length to nearly zero. What you will see is that the hypotenuse (apparent power) starts looking very much like the other leg (real power).

growler

I have a different take on this. Power factor is very important in industrial applications and the use of capacitors may get you close to unity. There is a lot of equipment on the market to look at. But in other applications you can get more bang for your buck by other types of corrections. The idea is to spend as little money as possible for the same results. What most businesses need is a power audit to see where they are wasting money and to see where to spend money in an effecient way. There are companies out there that try to sell capacitors to solve every possible power factor problem and this just doesn't work. Some of the time the expense is more than the savings.

zog

Charlie B, that was great! I like to use a superball to explain what reactive load is in my classes, and now I have something better that the power triangle.

I used to teach nuclear reactor theory, and we liked to start out with the monkey and ping pong ball therom:

Imagine an empty room with a ceiling that can be lowered or raised. Now imagine the entire floor is covered with mousetraps that have a ping pong ball sitting on top of each mousetrap. Now imagine 50 monkeys hanging from the ceiling.

The ping pong balls are thermalized neutrons, the monkeys are control rods.

Now, throw one ping pong ball in the room and close the door. the ping pong ball will set off the mousetrap causing the ping pong ball to go flying through the air, when it lands it hits another mousetrap and so on.

Now the monkeys (control rods) hanging from the ceiling can reach out and grab a ping pong ball if it goes high enough slowing down the reaction. If you want to slow the reaction down even more, lower the ceiling so the monkeys can grab more ping pong balls, raise the ceiling and they cant reach as many so the reaction speeds up.

To stop the reaction, drop the ceiling all the way down, everything stops.

We call that a SCRAM (Stop Crazy Reaction And Monkeys)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I was a Navy Nuke and I worked in the nuclear generation industry for a while. I had heard of the ping pong ball analogy for nuclear reactions. But the monkeys is a new twist for me. Very entertaining. Thanks for sharing that story.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
bdarnell said:
You are basically correct in your answer. Power factor is the ratio between "real" and "apparent" power and is expressed as the ratio of KW to KVA. .

Ok, here is where I get confused. Aren't KW and KVA the same thing? I look at it as V*A=W.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
So essentially aren't VA and W the same thing since they are both dervived from multiplying voltage X amperage?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I like W=Er*Ir for checking motor running costs with a simple volt & cl/amp meter.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The two terms are used interchangeably, mostly when doing load calculations. However, when applied to power consumption in building loads, the power factor has to be taken into consideration. Several factors can act to degrade power factor and as has been mentioned, poor power factor has several undesirable effects.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
m73214 said:
So essentially aren't VA and W the same thing since they are both derived from multiplying voltage X amperage?
Not at all. Not even close. They have the same unit of measure, but they are different quantities.

Consider this: A "penny" is one cent. A "nickel" is five cents. A "quarter" is 25 cents. They are all measured in terms of "cents." So if I were to give you a bag of pennies, would you give me a bag containing the same number of quarters? After all, they're both just "cents."

Let me take this back to basics, without much math. For the moment, let's disregard non-linear loads and the associated harmonics.
  • The voltage that is generated at the utility station comes in the form of a sine wave. It starts at zero, goes up to some peak value, drops down to zero, continues down to some negative peak value, returns to zero, and repeats this pattern 60 times every second.
  • When the voltage is imposed upon a load, it causes a current to flow through the load. That current will also be in the shape of a sine wave.
  • If the load is "resistive" in nature, such as a heating element or a light bulb, then the peak values of current will take place at exactly the same moments (60 times every second) as the peak values of voltage.
  • If the load is "inductive" in nature, such as a motor or a fluorescent light fixture's ballast, then the peak values of current will take place later then the peak values of voltage. Both voltage and current are still sine waves, but they don't line up anymore. The current lags behind the voltage.
  • If the load is "capacitive" in nature, such as a capacitor bank, then the peak values of current will take place earlier then the peak values of voltage. Once again, both voltage and current are still sine waves, and once again they don't line up anymore. The current leads the voltage.
  • The amount of time between the peak value of voltage and the peak value of current gives us an indication of how inductive, or how capacitive, the load is.
  • You can measure that difference in terms of an angle, instead of in terms of time. One cycle, from zero to positive peak to zero to negative peak to zero again, is 360 degrees. The "power angle" is typically on the order of 10 to 30 degrees.
Now I have to get into a little bit of math.
  • The cosine of the "power angle" is called the "power factor."
  • Multiply volts times amps, and you get "apparent power," and you express it in terms of "VA" (volt-amperes) or "KVA" (kilo-volt-amperes).
  • Multiply "apparent power" by "power factor," and you get "real power," and you express it in terms of "W" (watts) or "KW" (kilo-watts)
  • Multiply "apparent power" by the sine of the "power angle," instead of by "power factor" (recall that is the cosine of the "power angle"), and you get "reactive power," and you express it in terms of "VAR" (volt-amperes reactive) or "KVAR" (kilo-volt-amperes reactive).
To visualize the relationship, draw a triangle as follows. Start at the left side of the page, and draw a line to the right. Label the left endpoint "A," and label the right end point "B." Starting at point "B," draw a line straight up. Label the point at the top "C." Finally, draw a line connecting "A" to "C."

The line "AB" represents real power. The line "BC" represents reactive power. The line "AC" represents apparent power. The angle located at point "A" is the "power angle."

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well said, Charlie. I liked the "beer and foam" analogy better, though. I tried it during lunch and finally got it after about 4 beers. Kind of killed the afternoon, though. 8) :wink:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Well, once again I say " thanks " for the continuing education this forum provides. Sometimes the theory portion of this trade is a little hard for me to comprehend but you guys are great at teaching an old dog new tricks..... :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.