What/should I put AIC rating on my panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphouse

I am designing an electrical control panel requiring 100A max. Takes two sources, 115VAC and 240 3phase. It has a disconnect switch, controller, AC/DC power supply, and relays. I am leaving it up to the end user to accomodate protection breakers or fuses based on given load requirement.

I had the design tested by 3rd party for safety testing for CE & UL certification. One recommendation from the lab was to require AIC rating.

First question is, Do I really need AIC rating label? If so, what should it look like? Size? How do I derive AIC rating? Most components inside do not have AIC rating.

ref:
http://www.abb-control.com/pdf/white/LV046.pdf

davidr43229

According to UL508A & SB, your overcurrent protection device can be either within the panel, or outside of the panel, but YOU must specify, as part of the overall assembly.
Jim is absolutely correct. per Article 409 now, withstand rating are obsolete. You must determine your SCCR of the panel. Many manufacturers of OCPD have literature on this.
Best place to start is to purchase UL508A and read all 242 pages twice. "You have to know some of the answers to ask the right questions" UL508A & SB is now your bible if your state or customers have adopted the NEC 2005.
Instead of AIC on your machine or panel label, that is to be replaced with SCCR.

Status
Not open for further replies.