225.31 Disconnecting Means

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjw444

For a detached garage with one lighting circuit would you need to provide a disconnect? I thought you only needed a disconnect for more than one circuit is that correct?

Occupation
Inspector
kjw444 said:
For a detached garage with one lighting circuit would you need to provide a disconnect? I thought you only needed a disconnect for more than one circuit is that correct?

I would say start at Article 225 Part II -- 2005

stickboy1375

ART 225.31... its pretty clear. The only thing you would NOT need is a ground rod, this goes for multiwire branch circuits as well. Now that you know you need a disconnect, read 225.32 for the location...

Last edited:

normbac

225.38 Disconnect Construction.
Disconnecting means shall meet the requirements of 225.38(A) through (D).
Exception: For garages and outbuildings on residential property, snap switches or sets of 3-way or 4-way snap switches shall be permitted as the disconnecting means.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
stickboy1375 said:
This rule goes for ANY outbuilding, not just a garage...

Actually it is required for any structure. This could be a wooden post stuck into the ground. And you are correct the requirement for the disconnect is found in 225.31.

stickboy1375

infinity said:
Actually it is required for any structure. This could be a wooden post stuck into the ground. And you are correct the requirement for the disconnect is found in 225.31.

Thanks for the correction, sometimes I forget to use the correct terminology...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
stickboy1375 said:
Thanks for the correction, sometimes I forget to use the correct terminology...

Actually this one I learned from my own mistake from an old thread that had 4 receptacles with 4 circuits on a wooden post.:cool:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think they about covered the bases on this, but there are also pictures on the FAQ on this topic. :)

infinity said:
Actually this one I learned from my own mistake from an old thread that had 4 receptacles with 4 circuits on a wooden post.
It's kind of odd that such an installation would require grounding electrodes, but I vaguely remember thinking at the time that I couldn't come up with a better way to word the rule.

stickboy1375

georgestolz said:
I think they about covered the bases on this, but there are also pictures on the FAQ on this topic. :)

It's kind of odd that such an installation would require grounding electrodes, but I vaguely remember thinking at the time that I couldn't come up with a better way to word the rule.

I'd have two wooden posts before I drove ground rods... :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.