105 degree listed compression lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOSUM

Is there such a thing as a 105 degree rated/listed compression lug/connector?
Most are 90 degree rated/listed.

ron

I've not heard of a 105 degree rating.
Even the 90 degree rated equipment can't be used at it's 90 degree rating since it is not tested with the equipment that it will be terminated onto. You're back to a 75 degree rating.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Committing the sin of not having my code book by the computer, but will venture out anyways. Check Medium and high voltage gear.

eric stromberg

coulter said:
I think your right. They make MV-90 and MV-105 wire and equipment.

carl

Yes, there are Medium voltage lugs that are listed at 105. There are also LV split bolts that are listed at 105.

So, in the unlikely event that a piece of THHN is terminated at each end with a split bolt rated at 105, you could actually use the THHN at the 90deg rating. I've never seen this.

BOSUM

More Info?

More Info?

This customer has Specified 500Kcmil MV-105 15Kv 133% EPR and requires all terminations and splices to be 105 degree rated lugs and connectors.
I have talked to certain manufacturers and they say UL has no listing above 90 degrees (UL-486B). One manufacturer stated that the only 105 degree rated lugs/connectors were sta-kons.

Any help would be appreciated.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
My understanding is that, in general, you will not find UL listing/labeling for MV equipment. Also, the 90 deg C and 105 deg C at MV is similar to the 75 deg C and 90 deg C at low voltage. Yes, cable is 105 deg C, and you may find splice and termination kits that are rated for 105 deg C (although I beleive the 3M Cold Shrink are only rated for 90 deg C) but you will find that according to manufacturing standards, that only 90 deg C terminals are available.

eric stromberg

You're right. I said "listed" and i should have said "rated." The listing is only for the 90 degree device. The 105 ampacity column (MV) can be used for derating, but the final ampacity can not exceed the value in the 90 degree column.

Status
Not open for further replies.