Low voltage,110V run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

Greetings all. I have a house that I did extensive LV landscape over most of the property. They recently installed additional trees on the opposite side of the finished driveway , I have no way of running under it to install more LV lights.
I do however have a 3/4" pvc run from the house under the driveway for 110V post lights to be mounted near the street. I'm running these post lights on a 110V timer and also an extra hot will be run that will be piped to a nearby shed to power it as well.
Easy way to light up the area landcape wise would be to install 110V bullet lights run from the same timer as the posts, but I would like to match the LV lights and have them on the same timer/transformer.

My question is...can I run 2 extra #10 THWN runs in the same pipe as the 110v and utilize the 10's as 12V and at the end junction boxes wire to LV lights and trans at the other end? Is it possible to run these wires together? My old boss said " As long as the insulation is the same" Thx

I second that. All conductors must be rated for the highest voltage present in the conduit or J-boxes. Just remember that at some point, you will need to transition from the THWN conductors to the direct burial low voltage cable. You'll need to figure out a way to do this without having the LV cable within the same junction box as the line voltage conductors.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Any reason you can't install another timer/transformer at the shed, since it's already on the right side of the driveway, and run the LV wiring from there?

hardworkingstiff

LarryFine said:
Any reason you can't install another timer/transformer at the shed, since it's already on the right side of the driveway, and run the LV wiring from there?

Or just put a receptacle on the light circuit and plug the LV transformer into it?

Oakey

Thx for the replies guys, I failed inspection 3 years ago for the very same thing . Although I knew I was right and he couldn't quote me a code reference it was "rip it out or you fail...period!" So I was just checking. Different town this time..whew.
Great idea about another transformer. I could put in another one but this just seemed to be the harder way of doing it :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oakey said:
Great idea about another transformer. I could put in another one but this just seemed to be the harder way of doing it :grin:

Re-digging to add to an existing pipe while avoiding damage to existing wires is easier? :confused:

Oakey

Sorry Larry I mistyped my words ,
What I meant to say was running the extra wires and pipe is the harder way of doing it, so naturally thats the way I chose. Seems to follow me around lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.