Disconnect Line side of meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaTech04

Im working on some tenant buildouts in an old shopping center and the power company was wanting us to put a disconnect on the line side of thier meters for servicing on any 480Y/277 services.

Is this normal for some EMCs? Ive never run into it before.... I didnt see anything in the code in regards to what is required line side of the service, just what is allowed.

I dont want to get on the PoCos bad side by openly second guessing them, but I also dont want to stick our client with thousands of dollars worth of additional gear either if it isnt necessary - but if that's what it takes for the PoCo to turn the power on ...

iwire

Staff member
Pretty common, it is 'cold sequence' metering and a lot of power companies require it for voltages above 250 to ground.

Mule

Yes our poco requires the same.....and in somecases in cramped meter packs our poco is requiring terminal box's upstream....we installed one yesterday on a 120/240 loop

peter d

You know better then most that power companies are as different as can be.:smile:

Yes, true, they are all over the map. Although I am hard pressed to believe that a poco would not require a disconnect on a service that can deliver fault current like an atomic bomb. :confused:

Cavie

Now required by Florida Power and Light on 480 Volt 2 wire single phase Street lighting. When I asked Why?, since they also require a 200 amp bypass meter at the same time I got the deer in the head light look. His answer was "don't know". Two disconects before the meter. Gotta love it.

Cavie

Im working on some tenant buildouts in an old shopping center and the power company was wanting us to put a disconnect on the line side of thier meters for servicing on any 480Y/277 services.

Is this normal for some EMCs? Ive never run into it before.... I didnt see anything in the code in regards to what is required line side of the service, just what is allowed.

I dont want to get on the PoCos bad side by openly second guessing them, but I also dont want to stick our client with thousands of dollars worth of additional gear either if it isnt necessary - but if that's what it takes for the PoCo to turn the power on ...

Don't forget about "First means of disconect" as it pertains to grounding and bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.