emt / mc fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

I was looking at a detail on a drawing for connecting branch circuit power cabling to a metallic raceway mounted above a backsplash, the detail indicates MC cabling in the ceiling space, where the connection is made to the raceway there is indicated a piece of EMT in the wall cavity to the accessible ceiling space where it indicates a transition to MC to the panelboard, my question is is there such a fitting to terminate MC into at the emt stub at the ceiling space (at a building column) strip back 5-6? and pull it thru the fitting and the EMT to the raceway? It would have to terminate the mc on one end with a set screw or some kind of compression fitting on the other end. I cannot seem to find a fitting like this as opposed to putting in a j.box at each location? Thanks.

480sparky

Bridgeport makes 'em. Part No. 4157-DC.

EMTtoMC.jpg

Mike01

Thanks however are Bridgeport fittings UL listed I did not see this it indicates NEMA, but not UL or did I miss it I found one made by Appleton also however not a double. thanks again.

LJSMITH1

Stay Tuned about the 4157-DC UL listing....:wink: UL514B did not have an evaluation category for a transitional fitting like this, which is why it was unable to be listed. Check with your local AHJ, as there have been many of these already installed in the field.

LJSMITH1

As of today, Bridgeport's 4157-DC is now officially listed by UL. File number E20534. It is now classified as a transitional coupling. This is the first of its kind to ever be listed by UL.

The conduit fill cannot exceed 60% as defined by the NEC.

4157-DC.jpg

Used to securely join EMT to two armored or metal clad cables. A labor savings, compared to the traditional junction box installation. Simply remove the armor and expose the length of conductors to reach the device box or enclosure. The required inspection holes will provide for a positive visual end for both cable armor and recommended anti short bushings. Tighten screws for cable between armor convolutions, and set screw for 3/4" EMT conduit. Patented.

http://www.bptfittings.com/Catalog/CatalogFamily.aspx?CategoryId=11&FamilyId=575&ShowReturn=true

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What do you do about having conductors within the raceway that have no surface markings?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
What do you do about having conductors within the raceway that have no surface markings?

I energize them.:grin: Do it all the time but I use MC connector to threaded rigid coupling to EMT connector. And if you really want to argue 310.11 then run the marking tape with the conductors in the EMT.

Come on Rob.:rolleyes:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I energize them.:grin: Do it all the time but I use MC connector to threaded rigid coupling to EMT connector. And if you really want to argue 310.11 then run the marking tape with the conductors in the EMT.

Come on Rob.:rolleyes:

I don't want to argue that point but it has come up here many times before. If you follow the code wording it's a legitimate point. Personally I don't see it as an issue. They do make MC cable with surface markings on the conductors.

Rob%27s%20Work%20045.JPG

glene77is

310.11 ...
then run the marking tape with the conductors in the EMT.

Chris,
I think Rob has a good point, technically.
Just a technicality, but should be given a moment's consideration.

There was a thread on that subject on this forum.
NEC allows Romex to be run into, through,and out of EMT,
provided that the manufacturer's (yellow) sheath is intact.
The hitch is that
(1) the conductors are not marked with a "rated for" spec, (2) the conductors are not covered with the nylon jacket.
Therefore, the (yellow) sheath must be intact
until the cable reaches the junction box
where joints are made.

If you leave the MC/AC plastic spec strip in the bundle of conductors, then you may (technically) satisfy the code,
provided the conductors have the NYLON jacket which is to protect the conductor's insulation from pulling abrasions.

We all make 'good sense' field mods, and they work forever.
Whether they meed the technicalities of manufacturers specs and the wording of the NEC, is a different question.

I have always differentiated between (1) good physics and (2) the NEC and the (3) manufacturers specs. And I still check with the AHJ to see what he says.
(because if the AHJ ain't happy, then nobody is happy!)

I don't think it is "Diabolical" (as Hildenbrand humorously suggested),
just a little electrician's word game.
Something we do when work is slow.

:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.