OK Power company guys ....... What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

I can only imagine that they are lightning arresters but the bottom of each one would be attached to a pole ground. This seems very strange, photos would be very helpful. :)
It is most definitely lightning arresters. He is just not seeing the ground...it is there. Having them every 3 poles is a lot.

As charlie knows, you would expect them at equipment poles, deadends, corners, risers.

Typical placement is anywhere from every 5th to 10th pole or even 1 or 2 per mile for some areas on some systems. It would be terribly expensive to put them on every 3rd pole throughout the distribution system. They might do this in areas with critical loads or if there have been a lot of direct strikes.

charlie

1. He is just not seeing the ground...it is there.
  2. Having them every 3 poles is a lot.
  3. . . . or even 1 or 2 per mile for some areas on some systems.
  4. They might do this in areas with critical loads or if there have been a lot of direct strikes.
  1. I believe you are correct
  2. More than needed by a factor of two or more
  3. Actually, the rule 097C in the NESC requires at least four ground connections on the neutral conductor in each 1 mile of line, exclusive of ground connections at customers? service equipment. Installing lightning arresters would require the installation of pole grounds at LA installations
  4. Absolutely
:)

mivey

...Actually, the rule 097C in the NESC requires at least four ground connections on the neutral conductor in each 1 mile of line, exclusive of ground connections at customers? service equipment. Installing lightning arresters would require the installation of pole grounds at LA installations...
Naturally. But there is no requirement for 4 arresters per mile.

I have inspected these before (they require a special permit). They are placed on private property, for customers who complain about voltage drop on their house services. After about a week, they stop complaining and the POCO moves them on to the next complainer. :grin:

mivey

I have inspected these before (they require a special permit). They are placed on private property, for customers who complain about voltage drop on their house services. After about a week, they stop complaining and the POCO moves them on to the next complainer. :grin:
It is called a SIMBY permit: Substation In My Back Yard. :grin:

techntrek

I did a lot of driving around my county and the next one over today. I paid close attention to the poles, and this is what I noted (sorry, still couldn't pull over for a picture). The mounting brackets did appear to have a wire coming off of them so I assume that is the ground that others said must be there (I thought so too, but never really noticed them before).

On the main line that feeds the north half of the county, these are on every 3rd pole. One some back roads there are none at all, on some you might see one here and there, and on others I saw them on every 5th pole. So only consistant on the main line.

Thanks for the inputs!

Status
Not open for further replies.