Line Impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

john37

I would like to get some opinions on an issue I'm coming across right now.
I'm working on a women's health clinic that has two Digital Mammo x-ray machines in the space. Currently I have a 480/277V 3 phase with a 45KVA
step down transformer feeding a 208/120V 3 phase panel.
Currently there is a 2.4KW 1 phase a/c unit on the same 208/120V 3 phase panel. The mammo x-ray equipment vendor is insisting that a power conditioner be put on the dedicated branch circuit feeder each of the mammo x-ray machines. The mammo x-ray equipment manufacturers requirements call for a maximum line impedance not to exceed 0.20 ohms for a 208V line.
Does anyone think that by having the a/c unit on the same panel will affect the mammo x-ray equipment and do you think it would exceed the 0.20 ohms requirement just by having the a/c unit feeding off the same panelboard?
Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

glene77is

Chris,
At first thought, it seems like TWO questions.

It seems like the Line Impedance of .2 Ohms is a separate issue from
the possible interference between the A/C and the X-ray equipment.

I had to provide power conditioner transformer to isolate an elevator from the lab equipment in a hospital.

The .2 Ohms line impedance could affect
(1) the ability of the X-ray equipment to startup (ie, start surge),
or
(2) the X-ray equipment might require surges (spikes) of power for its pulse generator.

:smile:

Last edited:

john37

Sorry if I was not clear. On the manufacturer shop drawings it states for a maximum line imedance not to exceed 0.20 ohms on the 208V 1 phase breaker feeding the mammo x-ray equipment.

Bottom line question is if having a small a/c unit on the same panel as the 35A x-ray equipment does anyone think it will affect the x-ray equipment? The a/c nameplate calls for a 2P40A breaker and the mammo x-ray equipment calls for a 2P35A breaker. There are two mammo x-ray equipment machines on the same 208/120V panel as the a/c unit. Since everything is installed, what would be my best option to provide a "clean" line to the x-ray equipment should we have to proceed in that direction? Thanks

glene77is

John,

I think you have re-phrased the original question.

"It seems like the Line Impedance of .2 Ohms is a separate issue from the possible interference
between the A/C and the X-ray equipment."

In fact, there may be little / or no inteference between the two.

(1) Both units are on a 2 pole 208V OCPD,
so I expect that each load will be well isolated
from the other 2 pole 208V load.

(2) They may never startup at the same time,
so little concern for a tug-o-war over source power.
The A/C unit is 2.4KVA, and the X-ray is what? maybe 5 KVA peak?
This is maybe 10% of the available 45KVA.

:smile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.