Continuous GEC from Ground Rod to Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a new 200amp service, Does the grounding electrode conductor have to be unspliced from the panel to the ground rod and to the water pipe within 5' of the water entrance to the house? Every section I read says it only needs to be unspliced to the most convieniant electrode, then bonding jumpers to all of the other electrodes. If the water line is 100' away, can't I just go to the driven ground rod 1st and then add another clamp to the water line? Everyone in my office says this has to be continous through all electrodes with no splices except for welding or irreversible clamps. Thanks Everyone!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The GEC can end at the first electrode. From there you may join other electrodes with bonding jumpers. If you had a building with building steel bonded at the service and a water pipe 300' away you could just bond the water pipe to the building steel with a bonding jumper. The GEC is the conductor between the neutral and the electrode itself it does not need to continue unbroken to any other electrodes.

macmikeman

If your water pipe is 300 feet away, chances are pretty good that its not inside the building we are talking about here, in which case the 5' rule doesn't apply either . 250.52

Status
Not open for further replies.