Shunt Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Here I found in a pdf file.

HVDC Terminals
You must have learnt about various kinds of AC/DC converters in a Power Electronics Course. Line Commutated Converters (Thyristor Rectifier / Inverter Bridges) always absorb reactive power.The reactive power absorbed is substantial and can be as much as 30-40% of the power transmitted by the HVDC link

Besoeker

HVDC Terminals
You must have learnt about various kinds of AC/DC converters in a Power Electronics Course. Line Commutated Converters (Thyristor Rectifier / Inverter Bridges) always absorb reactive power.The reactive power absorbed is substantial and can be as much as 30-40% of the power transmitted by the HVDC link
You have probably answered your own question.
Thyristor converters are phase-controlled bridges. The AC to DC conversion is controlled by altering the delay angle of the thyristors firing pulse. At large delay angles, the DC output voltage is low and the power factor is low.
A thyristor is also known as an SCR.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Greeting all,
Usually shunt capacitors are connected to provide reactive power on the ac side of the converters. why?

The bigger questions is, why don't you do your own homework?

HVDC Terminals

Hameedulla,

Do you think you are doing yourself a favor by not studying and understanding electrical theory? Googling answers might help you find them, but unless you familiarize yourself with the material and actually understand it in your head, you are simply memorizing answers and the parrotting them back on exams.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

The bigger questions is, why don't you do your own homework?

Hameedulla,

Do you think you are doing yourself a favor by not studying and understanding electrical theory? Googling answers might help you find them, but unless you familiarize yourself with the material and actually understand it in your head, you are simply memorizing answers and the parrotting them back on exams.

LawnGuyLandSparky,

1- What I am asking, is not homework or classwork. These are the topics which I do by myself.
2- When I am posting a question here, it doest mean that I dont know the answer but I only want to know others explaination regarding question like three winding question. I have got some good comment and explaination by others. I really appreciate those explainations which are difficult to find from books.
3- As long as google search is concerned, I am much familiar that you might not be.
4- By the way let me tell you, that this site is buit for discussion. It is not necessary for you to answer a question if you dont know. Just read and understand others explaination.
5- Regarding to three winding transformer question you had posted some comment and it has been removed by moderator. I hope you to understand this think before posting something. I have also sent you one private message read it.
6- I am engineer, I am not you and I have already studied that much of books that you cant think of that. If you study and work you can ask question. Before pointing out like this, think carefully.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Hameedullah,

Most of the participants on this site are electricians and not engineers.
I have not done a survey, but I would not be surprised to find that most of the electricians work primarily in the residential and small commercial marketplaces. I am pleased that so many different members have been able to help you in your pursuit of knowledge.

Have you visited the www.eng-tips.com website?

dbuckley

Go to your library and get out Flexible power transmission : the HVDC options by J. Arrillaga, Y.H. Liu, N.R. Watson.

You can even read a good chunk of this book through Google Books. There's a fair bit of maths in there, but even if you are mathemattically challenged (as am I) theres still plenty of useful non-maths info in there.

The late Joe Arrillaga is a bit (ok, a lot) of a legend in the HVDC world, and his recent departure is a sad loss for the field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.