Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Yes... if it has leakge to ground (water)... which they often do when bad

bphgravity

Remove the heating element from the circuit and see if the gfci trips while the other functions of the spa are being operated. If the gfci only trips when the element is energized, it is a good bet that is the problem. Another problem could be present that implies a bad element, but is really a bad timer, thermostat, switching device, or the gfci itself could be defective.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Was wondering if a bad heating element for water would cause a GFCI to trip (jacuzzi setup)?

Sounds like it's time to call the hot tub guy.:) The last hot tub I was on had a bad element and would trip the GFI. Seems like it's fairly common.

kwired

Electron manager
It's the #1 reason for hottub GFCI failures.

I wouldn't call it a GFCI failure, if there is a ground fault it is doing what it is supposed to do.

I have many customers wanting me to replace a GFCI because it is always tripping for them (hot tubs or otherwise) I would guess 95+% of the time I find something that causes it to trip for a reason it is supposed to. People just don't seem to understand the concept of fix the problem not the symptom.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I wouldn't call it a GFCI failure, if there is a ground fault it is doing what it is supposed to do.

I have many customers wanting me to replace a GFCI because it is always tripping for them (hot tubs or otherwise) I would guess 95+% of the time I find something that causes it to trip for a reason it is supposed to. People just don't seem to understand the concept of fix the problem not the symptom.

Yes... "make my headache go away" not "fix the cause..."

Status
Not open for further replies.