Soil Resistance Calculation After Using Rectangular Ground Mat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

src982

Hello,

I am recent graduate Engineer and working in the field of lightning protection and grounding. I have to design the grounding system for typical value of resistance ( less than 25 Ohm or 5 Ohm mainly for telecommunication towers, buildings). The resistance calculation for various configuration are given in IEEE Std 142-1991 with variation of soil resistivity, conductor size and depth of burial.

In addition, I am not able to get the formula to calculate the resistance using Rectangular Ground Mat with variation of soild resistivity, Number of Meshes along X -and Y axis, burial depth and conductor specification. If anyone suggest me the approximate formula to determine the resistance using Recantagular ground mat, it would be of great help.

Thank you.

You might try RedVector.com, they have an on-line course titled "Electrical Protection Grounding". I believe the cost was about $80. There are multiple calculations required for a rectangular design. I believe they had an example of the calculations for a small communications building in the course.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
ETAP works well, so does CDEGS.

What you are trying to do can get quite complex depending on your soil model and resistivity values.

Have you gotten a soils report with resistance measurements? If not, this should be standard protocol for each site. This information is critical to developing your model.

src982

Thanks for the response.

Thanks for the response.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yep, I am using WinIGS software and I can access the resistance simply from modeling the grounding system. However, I am considering to have formula so that I can calculate without software which is required for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.