Leviton surge suppressor T-ed into the busses

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

Is this a good solution? The Leviton surge suppressor seems to just T into the top two circuit slots on the two phase busses of a home load center. I am a bit unsure of the design actually stopping a surge since it is not inline, but "off to the side".

I am hoping an EE will elaborate on how this is effective, since it seems to be an item I see installed here and there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's what's called parallel protection. Series protection is available, but it's not too cheap.

The real value of a surge protector is in the fine print of the connected-equipment guarranty.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
That's pretty standard for surge protection. We do six-figure electrical installations that call for the same type of surge protection and they have thousands of dollars worth of equipment connected. They spec a unit made by hubbell; for resi we use APT.

danickstr

I just looked over the Leviton site, and I could not find any type of surge damage protection guarantee or monetary compensation limit, so I am assuming they just sell you the unit and you hope for the best.

If I hear differently I will update.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I just looked over the Leviton site, and I could not find any type of surge damage protection guarantee or monetary compensation limit, so I am assuming they just sell you the unit and you hope for the best.

If I hear differently I will update.

APT has a $100k replacement guarantee for all connected appliances, but electronics such as tv's, computers, etc.. must also be protected with tvss power strips @ the outlet. Othjer household appliances are covered regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.