roof punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb bob

I can't seem to find a tool I know exists! It's a punch for corrugated ceiling ribs. It had handles and operated like a set of rabbit ears but instead of cutting, it had two 1/2" or so dies that punched each side of the rib. I thought for sure greenlee made it but I can't find it on the website or any other google search. Thanks in advance for any info, work safe fellas.

cadpoint

News to me, I didn't know that one could load metal deck in this fashion! ? :-?

The problem is that the there's three types of decks, is this metal deck rated for this? There's "B" (biggest) bottom flute,
"B" Corregated,(for concrete pouring- Indented metal deck) ((sometimes refered to "C" or composite deck)) and an "F" Deck with a smaller lower flute.

Most metal Roof deck is 20 and 22 Ga.
Poured concrete on average is 18 Ga. knuckled.

Is there anyway to determine that this deck is ok to be used in this application and not another? Note the Bottom of the Table says "Check with deck manufacturer for recommended load capacity". They are going to love hearing from you...

You dealing with another world of Approved which is usually done by Factory Mutual. They have a Live Load and a Dead Load rating and per each type of deck and gauge which generate there own properties, per the span spacing between points.

Good Luck with your Request for this application (RFA) ... :confused:

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Well you will not use it with concrete decks.:grin:

I used them to support fixtures, I sent an RFI to the engineer and he said it was OK.

Saved us a ton of money and it looked good.

cadpoint

Let me clearify, the individual Deck manufactures submit to Factory Mutual for their deck per type to be tested and approved. I beleive it's the Dead Load which is way smaller than the Live Load...

iwire

Staff member
Never seen anything like that, looks handy!:cool:

It is not perfect, you need to carry a cordless with a 1/2" bit for areas you cannot fit the tool because of sprinkler pipes etc.

But we had almost 600 fixture hangers to put in and maybe 10 of them where where trusses were, we would have had to use strut to span two trusses to get a hanger were they ad to go.

Jo-Anns.jpg

tkb

I helped Bob on that job for a couple of days.
The tool worked very well.
It was the layout that was tricky.
The rows of fixtures were on a 45 degree angle to the roof.

Thanks to lasers it come out nice.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've seen ribs punched with hanger wires threaded through, I assumed someone drilled them. This is a great tool and hanger. I'll keep it in mind if I get a commercial project needing one.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Well you will not use it with concrete decks.:grin:

Not unless you are the incredible Hulk :grin:

I helped Bob on that job for a couple of days.
The tool worked very well.
It was the layout that was tricky.
The rows of fixtures were on a 45 degree angle to the roof.

Thanks to lasers it come out nice.

Yes, the 45 degree lights looks pretty good.

Steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Let me clearify, the individual Deck manufactures submit to Factory Mutual for their deck per type to be tested and approved. I beleive it's the Dead Load which is way smaller than the Live Load...

Factory Mutual is basically an insurance company. They do approve certain materials for installation in factories that are covered by their insurance policies. And they even have standards and practices that read a lot like many of the NFPA documents.

But if these decks are being installed in a building that Factory Mutual doesn't insure, Factory Mutual approval wouldn't matter. At least that's how I understand it.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.