Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmonroe

I realize that this a code forum, but I also realize that there is a lot of electrical knowledge resource on this forum.

We have an isolation single phase transformer (1KVA 480Pri 220Sec) that we are experiencing some issues with. With no load on the secondary we experience current reading off the primary side of this transformer. We are getting 1.5 to 2.0 amps from the primary with no load on the secondary.

This is a first for me?

rmonroe

72.5kv

Magnitizing current. This will be present at all time as long the transformer is energized. This establishes the magnetic field in the transformer

zog

That is from core losses. Resistive losses aside, the bulk of transformer power loss is due to magnetic effects in the core. Perhaps the most significant of these "core losses" is eddy-current loss, which is resistive power dissipation due to the passage of induced currents through the iron of the core.

Because iron is a conductor of electricity as well as being an excellent "conductor" of magnetic flux, there will be currents induced in the iron just as there are currents induced in the secondary windings from the alternating magnetic field. These induced currents tend to circulate through the cross-section of the core perpendicularly to the primary winding turns. Their circular motion gives them their unusual name: like eddies in a stream of water that circulates rather than move in straight lines.

Iron is a fair conductor of electricity, but not as good as the copper or aluminum from which wire windings are typically made. Consequently, these "eddy currents" must overcome significant electrical resistance as they circulate through the core. In overcoming the resistance offered by the iron, they dissipate power in the form of heat. Hence, we have a source of inefficiency in the transformer that is difficult to eliminate.

Another "core loss" is that of magnetic hysteresis. All ferromagnetic materials tend to retain some degree of magnetization on a molecular level after exposure to an external magnetic field. This tendency to stay magnetized is called "hysteresis," and it takes a certain investment in energy to overcome this opposition to change every time the magnetic field produced by the primary winding changes polarity (twice per AC cycle).

Each molecule of the ferromagnetic material (commonly referred to as ?domains?), must physically line up with the magnetic field, this cases friction to produce heating in the core and the familiar ?B flat? hum that transformers produce.

AdrianWint

....... (1KVA 480Pri 220Sec) ......... We are getting 1.5 to 2.0 amps from the primary with no load on the secondary.

rmonroe

Gents...... I agree that any powered transformer will have a mag. current BUT this one is too large! 1.5A @ 480V is 720VA!!!!!!! This is only a 1kVA transformer, its mag power should only ne in the order of around 50W or so (around 100mA mag current).

So assuming that the OP has his figures correct, this transformer does require further investigation!

Adrian

rcwilson

1.5 - 2.0 amps could also be a bogus reading. A digital clamp on ammeter may have a 100 amp range with a 1% accuracy, where 1% is of the range, not the reading. For a 1.5 amp reading the actual current might be anywhere from 0.5 to 2.5 amps.

Don't trust readings at the low end of the scales.

topgone

1.5 - 2.0 amps could also be a bogus reading. A digital clamp on ammeter may have a 100 amp range with a 1% accuracy, where 1% is of the range, not the reading. For a 1.5 amp reading the actual current might be anywhere from 0.5 to 2.5 amps.

Hit the nail in the head! I forgot that possibility, rcwilson!

jghrist

But even 0.5 amps is 24% of full load. Much too high to be magnetizing current.

LYLE2231

Transformer primary I calc.

Transformer primary I calc.

Using 30KVA TFMR 480vlt/120/208 sec. I have a 97.5 secondary load. I want to calculate the primary load. (lost my ferm's book). Thanks, Lyle

rcwilson

Lyle - 97.5 amps or kva? I assume its 97.5 amps since you said its a 30 kVA Xfmr.

KVA = (97.5A x 208V x 1.732)/ 1000 = 35.125 kVA

KVA in = KVA out (negelcting the losses we discussed above).

I @ 480V = (KVA x 1000) /(Vp-p x1.732) = (35.125 x 1000) /(480 x 1.732) = 42.25. Call it 43 amps.

Or using the voltage ratio:

Amps at 480V = (Amps at 208 V) x 208/480 = (97.5 x 208) / 480 = 42.25

Like all transformer calculations this assumes a balanced three phase load.

Status
Not open for further replies.