CB or conductor termination contact resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

Does anyone know a reference that may show generally acceptable resistance for circuit breaker contacts, switch contacts and conductor terminations?

I was guessing at 100 micro-ohms for 4000A LVPCBs but wasn't sure for long barrel compression and mechanical set screw type conductor terminations.

zog

Does anyone know a reference that may show generally acceptable resistance for circuit breaker contacts, switch contacts and conductor terminations?

I was guessing at 100 micro-ohms for 4000A LVPCBs but wasn't sure for long barrel compression and mechanical set screw type conductor terminations.

Depends on the exact breaker but for a 4000A LVPCB you should see <20 microhms.

ron

The reason for the question is due to an underrated piece of switchboard.
It is existing and installed about 5 years ago.
The three phase bolted fault calculated result is below the SWBD AIC/withstand rating. The x/r ratio at the board is >6.6, so with the derating, the board and its cb's are now underrated.
Since the IEEE/ANSI method of calculating fault current is conservative, and ignores small impedances such as contact resistance, I thought if I added them into the model, it would calculate a value below the rating.
Also due to the high x/r value, the L-G calculation is higher than the three phase bolted fault value, so I'm just trying to add real life impedance to ensure the equipment is adequately braced.

Status
Not open for further replies.