Three Phase to Single Phase Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to supply power to three separate groups of HID lighting with loads of 50 KVA each. Just about 80% of the power requirement is for 400W light fixtures with 240v and 208v ballasts (accomodates the voltage drop), some other 100W 120 volt fixtures and some 120v outlets. I cannot place large transformers near the lighting so my plan is to send 480v from a 15KV : 480Y/277 transformer to a main distribution panel and then send power to individual single phase transformers that will either be 480 : 120/240 or 277 : 120/240. The distance from the main transformer to the distribution panel is roughly 350' and the distance between each light group is 300' which causes some issues with voltage drop. Is it best to send 480v or 277v to a single phase transformer? I want to use 480v for less % voltage drop and smaller conductors to save money.

If I send single phase 277v (line and neutral), then I surmise I need 180 amps per phase which is easy, but then I must increase the size of the conductor. This would essentially be a WYE at the 15KV transformer and a WYE at the 277 stepdown.

If I step back a bit and sum all three groups of lights, I get 50 KVA x 3 = 150 KVA. With a three phase system I would then get 180 amps per phase for each 50 KVA transformer. With a WYE transformer, the line current = phase current so Power per phase = Volt per phase x Current per phase, 50 KVA = 277v x 180 amps. If I run the single phase 277v to each separate transformer, I get 180 amps on each A, B, C conductor with zero on the neutral if I have all transformers operating equally (balanced).

But what if I wanted to send single phase 480v (line to line), then how would I calculate the load? If I run two hots to the three 480v transformers, A-B, B-C, and C-A, then I have actually created a Delta system and the line current would no longer equal the phase current but would now be 1.73 x the phase current. Also, the line voltage would now be equal to the phase voltage so the phase current would now be 104 amps (50,000 KVA/ 480v = 104amps). That means the line current would be 180 amps. Is that correct?

Also, if I run 480v to the transformer would I also need to run a neutral or just the two line conductors? I'm thinking I need to run just the two hot conductors plus my #6 AWG grounind conductor.

And since there is a good chance that one set of lights may be off, would it not better to use the WYE setup instead of the delta system? I really don't think I can keep the loads balanced. I realize that with the WYE I'll need to keep the neutral full sized for the unbalanced current load.

kwired

Electron manager
For the cost of all the transformers and related necessities would it not cost less to try to use 277 volt luminaires and possibly increased conductor size for voltage drop that you need either way you do it?

There are 480 volt luminaires out there, have not run into them myself but is common in outdoor lighting from my understanding.

Bottom line is KVA is constant. Higher voltage = less amperage. More equipment = more $$$ You have to find the right balance of all of these.

I agree it would be less expensive. But it would be a different pot of money and I cannot touch the existing fixtures, or the single phase panel. I also cannot run 15KV dirctly to the light locations.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree it would be less expensive. But it would be a different pot of money and I cannot touch the existing fixtures, or the single phase panel. I also cannot run 15KV dirctly to the light locations.

You can (maybe) give them proposals for more than one way of doing the job and explain the advantages and disavantages of each way as well as cost of each and let them decide which way to go.

gar

Occupation
EE
100804-1203 EST

TonyThunder:

If you have a balanced load, then whether you use stepdown transformers from 277 or 480 will make no difference in the source line current.

Status
Not open for further replies.