can labeling equipment void UL listing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Our specs require equipment to be labeled with permanently attached labels - more specifically with set screws, not adhesives. Fire alarm installer claims this will violate UL listing. I'm concerned labels attached with adhesives will fall off some of the equipment after ten years.

Any insight as to what will/won't void a UL listing for fire alarm equipment? I suppose the same question applies to distribution equipment, although that question hasn't come up (yet).

Any comments on experience you've had with adhesives - what will last and what won't, and in what conditions?

Thanks!!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have done it both ways and prefer adhesive, I can show you a job we did in 95 where all the labels (probably more than 100) are still in place attached with an adhesive that our label maker uses.

Roger

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
There seems to be a great deal of confusion within the inspection and installation communities about labeling (I drill and tap short 6/32's to attach labels) and making knock-outs in F/A enclosures. I carry this letter in my NEC due to the fact that I have on a few occasions had inspectors argue that I can't make my own K/O's.

SilentKnight.jpg

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The only potential issue I can think of is that if the enclosure is rated for something other than Type 1, i.e. Type 4, 4X, 12 etc., then whatever penetrates the box must also meet the same environmental rating. But I have NEVER seen that extend to nameplate screws... other than on Type 4X for the screws to be corrosion resistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.