Equapotential grid for a hot tub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

relochris

I have a homeowner installing a pre-packaged hot tub on a new concrete slab. He's insisting that a bonding grid has to be in the slab or that the standard #8 ring be run around the perimeter of the pool. I've been digging around 680 and I can't seem to find it. I know that the hot tub section talks about parts I and II applying, but I can't see the need for any type of equapotential grounding for a hot tub. There is no swimming pool and I would assume that the GFCI protection at the disconnect would be substantial. What am I missing? If I converted it to a cord and plug unit would that help? It's a 60a 240v deal. Thanks in advance

relochris

You are required to install an equipotential bond fo the tub. This is a hot tub, correct? 680.26
That's what I was looking at. However, 680.26B ".... shall not be required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes" and and 280.26B1 implies that the concrete is an integral part of the water holding part of a pool and the patio connected rather that a small slab poured for support.?????

Status
Not open for further replies.