AIC rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gategator37

Can someone give me a quick rundown on how to figure the AIC rating of a panel? I believe there is a shorthand way to do it, I know it won't be dead on, but close

zog

Can someone give me a quick rundown on how to figure the AIC rating of a panel? I believe there is a shorthand way to do it, I know it won't be dead on, but close

AIC rating is determined by testing doen by the manufacture, it is not something you calculate.

Gategator37

The AIC is also shown on the drawings, isn't this a calculation done by an engineer? They have to know the available fault current.

zog

The AIC is also shown on the drawings, isn't this a calculation done by an engineer? They have to know the available fault current.

The available fault current is a calulation doen by the engineer, not the same as AIC, which is an equipment rating. The calulated available fault current cannot exceed the AIC of the equipment.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are you referring to the requirement in 110.9 that all equipment, including panelboards, to be rated for the available fault current?

Read this thread to get a better overall understanding of the issues and then come back with more specific questions relating to your problem at hand. Otherwise we will all go on and on ASS-U-Me-ing what you might mean.

Gategator37

Thanks guys for clearing this up, it makes perfect sense to me now! Well, the difference between AIC and available fault current

mbeatty

Doesn't the panel AIC become the lowest AIC of any component within the panel?

The Short Circuit Current Rating (SCCR) of a control panel is based on the lowest rated applicable component in the panel. The feeder circuit to the panel must provide protection so that the available fault current that the control panel can see is limited to no higher than the SCCR of the control panel.
Regards,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.