Another VD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggonza

Can someone give me a formula or a reassuring statement regarding the facts on voltage drop, on a circuit that includes different sizes of wire. I'm on a job where the spec is anything over 250' on 277v branch circuits must be upsized from #10 to #8. The problem I'm running into is some say that you can pull the first 250' in #8's and the rest of the length in #10's. Or pull #8's to the last J-box if it's over 250' and then run a mc whip in #12's. Any comments would be appreciated thank you.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Can someone give me a formula or a reassuring statement regarding the facts on voltage drop, on a circuit that includes different sizes of wire. I'm on a job where the spec is anything over 250' on 277v branch circuits must be upsized from #10 to #8. The problem I'm running into is some say that you can pull the first 250' in #8's and the rest of the length in #10's. Or pull #8's to the last J-box if it's over 250' and then run a mc whip in #12's. Any comments would be appreciated thank you.

You can do that as long as you have the right overcurrent protection for the #12 wire.

jghrist

You should ask for clarification of the spec. My suspicion is that the intent is to run #8 the whole distance for runs over 250'. Are the "some" who say it's OK to use #10 part way authorized to interprete the specifications?

You could use formulas or a voltage drop calculator to see what the voltage drop would be for 250' of #8 and the rest at #10. What load do you use? What power factor? What voltage drop limit? You may make what you think are reasonable estimates of these, but does it meet the spec?

ggonza

Okay that makes sense to calculate for the #8's. Then use the remaining voltage for the #10's Thank you.

bob

Okay that makes sense to calculate for the #8's. Then use the remaining voltage for the #10's Thank you.

It does not sound like you got it. If the ckt is over 250 ft you must use #8 for the entire diistance of the ckt. You may tap it with #12 MC but no #10 is used.

ggonza

when I said I understand it. I meant that I understand the effects of voltage drop when using different sizes of wire. I know that to stay in spec I would still need to use the larger size of wire for the entire length of the circuit. And only use a smaller size for a tap to a utilization device that is not suited to handle the larger size.

Status
Not open for further replies.