3000 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
We have a 3000 amp service to install has anyone done anything like this recently i have never done anything on this scale before so i was looking for some do's and dont's
Basically the owner wants a 3000 amp 120/208 3ph 4w with 10 x 200 amp meters, do i just find the correct gear and install as per code requirements, we have only ever done 200 amp house meter upgrades so this is a bit of a step up
Thanks for now .

Chris

iwire

Staff member
Will the AHJ accept such a large service without engineering documents?

At this size you can expect to be installing a pad for an outdoor power company transformer, you might even have to supply the transformer for the power company.

You would also have to be very concerned with the available short circuit current which must be calculated so you can pick the right rating of the equipment.

I really think you will need engineering support.

How was the need for 3000 amps arrived at?

3000 amp service

Thanks for the feedback guys.
The building is a 72,000 sq ft warehouse, there is no indication what the building will be used for so i think the calcs where kept on the high side just to be safe.The only paper work i have at the minute leads me to believe the poco is going to supply the transformer, it will be a pad mount outside just behind the meter room. They the poco have requested 7 x 5'' db conduits which the building owner is going to dig in. I hope to meet with the project engineer today but just thought i would float the general idea of the job out there to see the feed back i would get.

hurk27

You say you have 10 meters? If each has a disconnect then you would need two services and not one.

See 230.40 Exception 2, one service up to 6 service disconnects, and exception 1 might even allow the 10 disconnects because of the "different uses" in 230.2(D)

As was questioned Why a 3ka service, that is a way over kill for just 10 200 amp meter supplies, I have seen as low as a 1200 amp feeding 10 200 amp meters depending on the caculated use of each supply? 230.42

iwire

Staff member
You say you have 10 meters? If each has a disconnect then you would need two services and not one.

He could also have (and likely would) have a single 3000 amp main ahead of the meters.

Consider a 60 unit apartment building, it would not have ten services.

Status
Not open for further replies.