Feeder Calculation Troubles, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GFourteen

I have a #3 THW Cu, 3wire 120/240v single phase feeder 219' in length. If I wanted to find the Ampacity per phase I should use this formula right?

I= VD*CM/D*K

CM- cmil of 52,620
D- 219'
K- (approx) 25.8
VD-(Voltage Drop) should I use 120v or 240v to get my 3% from 210.19(A)FPN:
why use one over the other? If this is a stupid question I'm sorry, I just don't understand

tryinghard

I have a #3 THW Cu, 3wire 120/240v single phase feeder 219' in length. If I wanted to find the Ampacity per phase I should use this formula right?

I= VD*CM/D*K

CM- cmil of 52,620
D- 219'
K- (approx) 25.8
VD-(Voltage Drop) should I use 120v or 240v to get my 3% from 210.19(A)FPN:
why use one over the other? If this is a stupid question I'm sorry, I just don't understand
Single phase formula should be
VD = 2xKxIxD/CM
or
D = CMxVD/2xKxI
K=12.9 for cu & 21.2 for al (but you can calc these as well K=(RxCM/1000)). If you want to respect the 3% VD its the value of like 240x.03=7.2VD, so you can have up to 7.2 volts drop on a 240V circuit, your case is a 240v circuit not 120 so you'd use the 240.
? = 2x12.9xAmpsx219/52,620
Not stupid question at all.

Last edited:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Voltage drop is not a code requirement. When I've done long feeders, I do the calculations a few different ways. First you need to know what the typical load is how balanced it is. In workshops, perhaps there is a single large 120V tool. There may also be some normal 120V and 240V loads all the time (e.g. balanced lighting, heat), and some intermittent 240V ones.

So I'd calculate the 120V voltage drop with one ungrounded conductor having the sum of the 120V big load and the 240V baseline load. Calculate the drop in the neutral with just the 120V large load (remember to use a different CM value if the neutral conductor is smaller than the ungrounded). Treat as a % of 120V.

I'd then calculate the 240V voltage drop using the calculated load assuming it is evenly balanced. This is calculation most people do. Treat as a % of 240V.

Your "answer" is the worst of the two calculations.

erickench

You reduce voltage drop by increasing the size of the conductor thus reducing the resistance. You must use the formula to determine what size conductor you want to use and at what voltage drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.