Amperage Derating on General Use Cord sets and Power Supply cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

croverwin

I have an outdated verision of the NEC. (2005) There is a table which shows acceptable ampares up too 50', and then from 50-100' for different cord types. Table 114.2.
I was wondering if anyone knew of an equation that was used, to figure out the derating.
I am currently tryin to build a L6-20 extension cord at 150' using 10/3 SJT. I know what the voltage loss would be if i ran the full 20 amps however to be to NEC code i was wondering what the maximum amperage rating would be.
If there is a formula that would be great! If not, if you know how they came up with the deratings that would be fantastic.

Thanks!!!!
Croverwin

croverwin

Thanks

Thanks

I personally would not want to carry that thing around. I have a friend with a mobile Taco truck and he is going to a venue where the closest power source is 150' away. Im pretty handy with building electrical cords, however i do not want to cause a fire, or risk someones well being. Therefore i was trying to figure out what the acceptable amperage would be for that length. I wish the NEC would include formulas they used to come up with these charts. Or atleast the reasoning behind the madness.
Thanks for taking the time to reply Z!
CRoverWin

Status
Not open for further replies.