fuse data scavenger hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianMuir

Hi,
I'm doing a small coordination study and am having some trouble finding time current curves for two of the fuses:

CEFCO OT200/250 200A LR15525
Gould Class L CL800 LR14742 HRC, 600VAC

I'm no expert on fuse numbers schemes, but I suspect the LR# are related to the standard against which these are tested. If anyone can confirm/deny that would be great.

what I learned by pounding the internet
searches on "CEFCO" leads to parts resellers but not to a parent company with useful data
Gould leads to Ferraz-Shamut, now part of Mersen
The Mersen site has no data related to the CL800
I found a OT200 curve by Chase Shawmut and I would like to assume this applicable to the CEFCO part.

what fun.
if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. I could use also use some general tips about fuse numbers, resources, etc as I expect to be doing more of this sort of work into the future.

thanks a bunch

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
My SKM library shows both devices:

1) CEFCO is a Gould Shawmut, 250 Volt, Class K-5, 15-600 amp, TCC 95718C
2) Gould Class L, CL800 is a Gould Shawmut Cat No. HRC-L, 601-6000 amp, TCC TC-715
They're old fuses so they should be in the library of devices for whatever software you're using.

John M

BrianMuir

okay, thanks for the info.
actually, I am doing this by hand.
I'm looking into software, and would like to plunge into SKM, but for my one man operation the price is a serious issue. I have a relationship with another firm who has all these toys, and can sub out when needed.

This particular job is small so I'm just doing it the old fashioned way. Problem is, finding the darn curves. Even with an exact part number I find that the old fuses often have no info online.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Lots of consolidation in the fuse business; CEFCo was bought by Gould, merged with Shawmut, bought by Carbone Ferraz, bought by Mersen etc. etc. Many of those products are too old to have been around when the idea of "on-line" meant anything other than having a phone. And there is no incentive for the new owners to digitize old data sheets to put them on-line (new meaning), they want to make you buy new fuses.

mayanees

Occupation
... attached

... attached

ff,

I've quickly plotted both fuse curves and attached the TCC.

.... remember to validate before using :)

John M

.. wouldn't let me attach because it's slightly larger than the forum will accept.. it's only about 300 kB.
If you want the TCC email me at JMayan@Potomactesting.com and I'll send it to you. or PM me..
John M

Last edited:

BrianMuir

thanks for the help guys.
not sure who the last comment is directed to. In case me, no, I don't work for Ken.

I've been playing with the demo of SKM. It is quite impressive and I get the sense that this tool might provide the best bang for the buck, despite the fairly steep price. Are there other tools that I should seriously consider? My work is all commercial and municipal, lately including some high voltage. No industrial, so far.

mayanees

Occupation
Hey Zog. Yes.. good place to be. It's been about 1 1/2 years. I know the testing world looks pretty small when you start to look around!

Brian.. no, that was directed at me!

In response to your "tools needed" question: AutoCad or at least some way to document your designs, ...ACAD LT works for me. NEC Handbook...
SKM.. about $5,000 for an entry level, 50-node package. It's not necessary for doing NEC-compliant electrical design, but if you're going to do Power Studies, it's pretty much a necessity for anything worth doing. And then of course MS Office.

Good luck.

John M

Status
Not open for further replies.