water damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Customer has severe water damage due to broken water pipe. I'm inclined to say all devices, breakers, light fixtures, etc. that got wet need to go. I'm asumming the NM cable can be left in place as it will dry out. Need opinions. Any experience with how the insurance companies view this?

Buck Parrish

Here is a small video of me checking a breaker for water damage.
As jumpers pdf reads all romex that got wet then it dried, should be replaced. Opinions vary, but thats from the manufacturer.

It's obvious any connections that got wet will corroad.

If any water gets in the panel too, it can definetly cause corrosion. And we all know corosion and electrical parts don't work well together.

In the old days I tried to trip a breaker by putting the hot on the ground. One time the breaker would not trip. I went out side to the panel and the wire I was trying to trip had melted all the way back.
I found the 2" opening on the top of the panel had been left uncovered for years.
I broke open a breaker and it was full of a big glob of rust. I couldn't hardly see the spring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVz0HAcwNl4

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Thanks to all for the links. I've seen the NEMA piece before. Interesting comments from UL too. As a practical matter, considering that this is not contaminated flood water just clean potable water it seems to me this NM will dry out and be OK. I'm all on board for everthing going except the NM.

Status
Not open for further replies.