Wiring Solid State Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

I have a solid state relay that has four terminals-two on the input side (32vdc) and two out the output side 24-240vac). The problem is that this relay is not functioning like a EMR. Is it wrong for me to assume that it should? I assume that when the DC side is energized that should allow the AC side to be completed. Any help is appreciated.

S'mise

I dont know what EMR is but the SS relays I've dealt with have two input screws on top that act as the coil and two output screws on the bottom that act as a contact. Just like you said

Dont know why you have four screws on the input. Double check your wiring and if it dont work...pitch it, they are not expensive. It is likely fried.

Also, check that the ratings have not been exceeded and if it requires a blocking diode across the DC side.

Last edited:

Barndog

I have a solid state relay that has four terminals-two on the input side (32vdc) and two out the output side 24-240vac). The problem is that this relay is not functioning like a EMR. Is it wrong for me to assume that it should? I assume that when the DC side is energized that should allow the AC side to be completed. Any help is appreciated.

The SSR's i have dealt with need a load on the contact to fire the relay. maybe you dont have the right output to use the SSR

S'mise

Good point. I assumed the output leads were under a load. Maybe hes trying to check output continuity with a vom?

Thanks for spelling it out for me, I'm not a fan of acronyms

Benton

Good point. I assumed the output leads were under a load. Maybe hes trying to check output continuity with a vom?

Thanks for spelling it out for me, I'm not a fan of acronyms

This is exactly what I was doing... I guess this is my problem

Besoeker

That's how those that I have used work. In what way is yours not functioning like an EMR?

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
For AC-output SSRs, the output device on them is a triac (or back-to-back SCRs). They require a minimum load to turn on, and depend on the zero-crossing to turn off. Many also depend on the zero crossing to turn on. Putting an ohmmeter across them won't work for testing them.
/mike

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
For AC-output SSRs, the output device on them is a triac (or back-to-back SCRs). They require a minimum load to turn on, and depend on the zero-crossing to turn off. Many also depend on the zero crossing to turn on. Putting an ohmmeter across them won't work for testing them.
/mike
But a Wiggy will...

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
Test it.

Get a oh 60W incandescent lamp & a fused suicide cord; put the SSR output in series.

Now put say 12V DC on the input, with a mA meter in that loop. The SSR should draw a few mA [~2-10, I'd SWAG; the exact value does not matter much...] and the lamp should illuminate.

If it draws zero, either you have the DC polarity backwards, or it is d_a_e_d....

Benton

Test it.

Get a oh 60W incandescent lamp & a fused suicide cord; put the SSR output in series.

Now put say 12V DC on the input, with a mA meter in that loop. The SSR should draw a few mA [~2-10, I'd SWAG; the exact value does not matter much...] and the lamp should illuminate.

If it draws zero, either you have the DC polarity backwards, or it is d_a_e_d....

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.