voltage drop help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

joem22

i have a 950 ft run to wire a 20 amp 240 volt gate and 10 landscape lights around the gate...thinking about just putting a 30 amp subpanel out there. having problems on what size wire should i use with that voltage drop and do i use buck/boost transformer... the gate doesn't run on full 20 amp. any suggestions?

thanks

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
What is the actual load with lights and gate? If you want a full 30A @ 5% VD out there your looking at #2cu.

Welcome to the Forum.

hurk27

i have a 950 ft run to wire a 20 amp 240 volt gate and 10 landscape lights around the gate...thinking about just putting a 30 amp subpanel out there. having problems on what size wire should i use with that voltage drop and do i use buck/boost transformer... the gate doesn't run on full 20 amp. any suggestions?

thanks

Just to point out, Never buck boost to over come voltage drop, simply because when all the load is not on the circuit (I.E. the gate motor) the voltage will rise back up and damage the load that is still on, I.E. control electronics, and or the lights, you have two possible choices, over size the conductors including the EGC as required, or transforming up to a higher voltage and transform back down, you will have to weigh which method is the most cost effective for the job.

Last edited:

joem22

volt drop

volt drop

What is the actual load with lights and gate? If you want a full 30A @ 5% VD out there your looking at #2cu.

Welcome to the Forum.
with the gate and lights i will be at about 20amps.Im thinking just to run #1al.. for cost,if i have 2 splice boxes will that make my voltdrop worse..thanks for the help...

jdcpe17

Im coming up with 3.42% vd for #4 awg and 2.81%vd for #3 awg, assuming 950', 240V, 2 phase, 20A. Keep in mind the OCP needs to be sized for this type of load as well.

See 210-19(A)(1) info note #4
5% total %VD is recommened
I know there are some LBCs that are more stringent, however.

glene77is

Joem22,
Try calculating the real load at each of the segments of your circuit.

The smallest load, at the furthest end, might only require #12
for that segment.
The largest load seen by the source would occur
at the nearest segment of the circuit, so maybe #2.
Other AWG would be used as sized from #12 all the way to #2.

Draw out a diagram,
and see what the individual loads are inside each segment. :happyyes:

Personally, I would not want to pull #2 all the way around.
Seems like wasted copper. :happyno:

Anyway,
I don't have a wire-nut large enough to connect #2 to a #12 :lol:

al warner

Install a separate 5kVA service at the gate.

Install a separate 5kVA service at the gate.

thanks

joem22, What doesn't seem so obvious is the length of the "antenna" you are installing. That 950 feet of cabling could be a serious liability, especially if the area is prone to lightning.

If the Utility transmission line is relatively close to the gate, I would ask them to put in a Billboard Signage service w/ 5kVA 120/240V secondary. It would be much safer for the client. Either way you probably should install an appropriately rated TVSS at the gate to protect the gate controls, etc. , and also at the main building end of the circuit if you elect to run the 950' of cable.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.