equipment question

Status
Not open for further replies.

New EE

I'm being asked on the expected life span of the following equipment. I realize that there are so many variables that would factor in the life span of the equipment but can someone help me just take a stab at general guess? Thanks.

1. Transformers

2. Switchboards

3. Panelboards

4. Fire alarm panels

5. Fluorescent light fixtures

defears

The biggest factor will be if any PM measures will be taken. Otherwise between 1 day and 200 years. (I'm betting the lights go first.)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I see transformers almost every week that have been in-service for decades...some are actually older than me.:D
Likewise with switchboards and panelboards. The boards obsolescence is normally due to lack of replacement or additional breakers...but many of them have been in service for decades also.
Fluorescent lighting might be the weakest link although many of them have been around for many years they suffer from deteriorated wiring, discoloration, and in some case obsolesce of replacement lamps.

__dan

I'm being asked on the expected life span of the following equipment. I realize that there are so many variables that would factor in the life span of the equipment but can someone help me just take a stab at general guess? Thanks.

1. Transformers

2. Switchboards

3. Panelboards

4. Fire alarm panels

The lifespan for large capital equipment like that, the number is in the range of 25 years, and its set more by equipment depreciation schedules, capital writeoff rules, than by more important drivers like parts availability, serviceability, factory support.

Large capital investment can become a zero on paper after 25 years, asset value, even as the equipment serves double that. Typical interior fit out might get ripped out and replaced every 25 years, or faster. FA panels and lighting can serve indefinetely as long as they are useful. They age out faster than they wear out, good units get taken out and scrapped.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The lifespan for large capital equipment like that, the number is in the range of 25 years, and its set more by equipment depreciation schedules, capital writeoff rules, than by more important drivers like parts availability, serviceability, factory support.

Large capital investment can become a zero on paper after 25 years, asset value, even as the equipment serves double that. Typical interior fit out might get ripped out and replaced every 25 years, or faster. FA panels and lighting can serve indefinetely as long as they are useful. They age out faster than they wear out, good units get taken out and scrapped.
I agree. Usually the only people who give a rat's you-know-what are bean counters. I HATE bean counters so I always give them the numbers I think will make it less likely they will get in the middle of a project. 25 years is all the IRS cares about.

broadgage

Transformers, if not heavily loaded, seem to last almost indefinatly.
Switchgear does nor normally wear out, but tends to become obsolete as replacement or additional parts become unvailable.

Fire alarm panels IME tend to become obsolete relatively quickly, since they increasingly use microprocessors/software that is not supported after perhaps 10 years.

Flourescent light fixtures in regular use in offices etc probably only last 10/15 years. After that spare parts may be problematic, lamps may be obsolete, and improved fixtures may be available.
Seldom used fixtures may last the life of the building, or until spare lamps are no longer available. There are some at least 60 years old still in use in the UK.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think the answers above show it has a lot to do with who is asking the question, and why.

Does the finance dept. want to know for depreciation? Or is it the maintenance guy who is trying to convince someone they need to budget money to replace those 50 year old panels?

zog

The biggest factor will be if any PM measures will be taken. Otherwise between 1 day and 200 years. (I'm betting the lights go first.)

Agreed, IEEE std 493 (Gold book) has some life expentancy data but it all depends on how well they are maintained and what specific equipment you are talking about. Take breakers for example, a see well maintained power breakers still working fine that are 60 years old, compare that to the cheap plastic junk they make today that won't last 20 years.

Transformers may not fail often but when they do they have some of the longest replacement times so they have one of the highest failure "rates" of any equipment types. http://images.industryclick.com/files/31/410ecm11tab2.jpg

mbeatty

Agreed, IEEE std 493 (Gold book) has some life expentancy data but it all depends on how well they are maintained and what specific equipment you are talking about. Take breakers for example, a see well maintained power breakers still working fine that are 60 years old, compare that to the cheap plastic junk they make today that won't last 20 years.

Transformers may not fail often but when they do they have some of the longest replacement times so they have one of the highest failure "rates" of any equipment types. http://images.industryclick.com/files/31/410ecm11tab2.jpg

I agree. My experience has been that maintanance, quality and specific use of the equipment will definitely take great part in operational longevity.

tish53

oil filled transformers -40 yrs
air cooled dry type transformers - 25 years

metal clad switchgear properly maintained on a 3 year cycle- 40-60 yrs
molded case breaker panelboard- 20yrs if in clean air conditioned room

as other people have stated it is really dependent on the quality purchased and how well it is maintained and the environment it has to live in.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

1. Transformers

Indefinite.
2. Switchboards

Indefinite.

3. Panelboards

Indefinite.

4. Fire alarm panels

Varies widely IME. Some seem to last forever, and others fail on a regular basis.

<20 years. Many fail < 10 years. The ballasts are most of the cost and they fail first, sometimes before the lamps themselves, especially the electronic ones.

A lot depends on the environment. The hotter it is the more likely it fails. Dust can make stuff run hotter than it would otherwise.

If you routinely overload transformers they won't last as long as if they are over sized. Same for switchgear and panel boards.

CONTROL FREQ

This is the way I would handle this kind of question:
  1. Explain to the person asking, that electrical equipment almost always fails on what is known as a ?bath tub curve? (unless outside influences).
    #
    F
    A
    I
    L
    U
    R
    E
    1yr
    2yr
    3yr
    4yr
    5yr
    6yr
    7yr
    8yr
    9yr
    S
    #
    Y
    E
    A
    R
    S

2. If they are DEAD SET on getting numbers, explain the MANY variables, then get a couple of cut sheets from 2 different manufacturers ask them to include info on the expected service life. I?d guarantee, if you get cut sheets for cutl/hamm and sq D, the service life will differ for the same basic panel. Just my opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.