Whole House - Back up generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole House - Back up generator

We are adding a generator to a existing 9,000 square foot house. The house currently has a existing 400A combination service meter/main. Obviously the existing service comes into the meter side of this device, and feeds the main attached to it. (see photo).

I am basically just trying to figure out the easiest and most cost effective way to add a automatic transfer switch to this picture. My thoughts were to add the transfer switch on the left, come out of the meter/main combo to feed it, then come back out of the transfer switch, and back into the meter/main combo to re-feed the main. Would this be possible with a piece of equipment that is a assembly in a meter/main situation?

The catalog # for the square D meter/main combo is a QU12L400SL

Thanks Guys
    Attached Files

Why not put the ATS bettween the Service disconnects and the load?
    If you put it in front of the service disconnect it will probably need to be service rated.
    Sometimes I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag.

Comment

Because the meter & service disconnects are all in one enclosure. Ideally that would be the best route if they were separate.
      Last edited by Npstewart; 07-26-11, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Since the generator will likely have to be pretty big, maybe put (2) ATS's, on the load side of the (2) feeder breakers.
        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Npstewart View Post
          Because the metal & service disconnects are all in one enclosure. Ideally that would be the best route if they were separate.
          Yeah, I seen that. You don't have a lot of space to work with for sure. Plus as Ron said you have two service breakers so you would have to have two ATS's. I missed that.
          Or just feed one panel with the ats and generator.
          Last edited by qcroanoke; 07-26-11, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Im trying to follow. Can you clarify what you mean by "two breakers".

Comment

See the attachment. This is what I was thinking of doing. One problem is that im not sure there is any knock out holes in the side of this enclosure.
              Attached Files

Comment

I see the problem now. The meter main has six breakers and not a single main.
                Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Exactly. It actually has 4 breakers with 2 spares. Maybe I should just call my local square D office and let them know my situation. I certainly don't want the electrician voiding the UL listing on there trying to install this design.

Comment

For a whole house set up you would need a new stand alone meter socket that feeds a 400 amp main disconnect. From the disconnect you would hit the ATS and then a 400 amp panel to pick up the 4 existing loads.
                    Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose. But still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Comment

So you don't think it would be possible at all to keep the existing service equipment?

Comment

With no main between the service panel and the meter ( I'm sure the 2 are tied together with bussing) it would take 1 transfer switch for each load. What size are you 4 breakers?

Comment

I think your correct with the bussing. Right now I have (3) 200A breakers for the inside panels and (1) 100A breaker for the pool panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Npstewart View Post
                            Im trying to follow. Can you clarify what you mean by "two breakers".
                            I only seen 2 breakers from the pic so I thought that was all you had. Then I seen your sketch and Bama is right.

"For a whole house set up you would need a new stand alone meter socket that feeds a 400 amp main disconnect. From the disconnect you would hit the ATS and then a 400 amp panel to pick up the 4 existing loads."

Comment

Attached is a picture of the manufacturers wiring diagram. I think we came to the correct conclusion here, the existing equipment has to go.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X