70 A subpanel addition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, do you see any issue i may have in the following scenario: I have a 100 A breaker mounted out on a pole that feeds the house panel. I want to add a 70A subpanel out on the pole to provide power to a couple of 15A receptacle circuits outside...? I would most likely tap off of the load side of the 100A breaker.

thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Aside from possibly of needing a load calculation, the biggest obstacle is that the lugs on the 100 amp breaker are probably not rated for the two conductors.

I thought about putting a double pole breaker before the subpanel, but I was thinking that this fell under the tap rule.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you talking about tapping the service entrance conductors before the disconnect? If so then you are correct as there is no overcurrent required until you enter the building.

kwired

Electron manager
Tap rules depend on the length etc. look at 240.21 for taps

If this is an outdoor installation then there is no length limit on tap rule...correct?

Are you talking about tapping the service entrance conductors before the disconnect? If so then you are correct as there is no overcurrent required until you enter the building.

My understanding the entire installation in question is outdoors. No limit on tap length or size as long as it terminates at an overcurrent device and is large enough to carry the load.

If it is tapped from service conductors then it is a service disconnect and not a feeder tap. Better not be more than 5 other disconnects on same structure (the pole in this case) or you will need to do it differently.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How would this differ if you were tapping the feeders instead of the SE conductors

Tapping the feeders must follow 240.21 but when you tap the service conductors the taps are still service conductors. Service conductors outside follow rules of art. 230.6, 230.70, etc

fireryan

Tapping the feeders must follow 240.21 but when you tap the service conductors the taps are still service conductors. Service conductors outside follow rules of art. 230.6, 230.70, etc

So the advantage would be you could run a 3wire instead of a 4wire to the service disconnect

kwired

Electron manager
So the advantage would be you could run a 3wire instead of a 4wire to the service disconnect

That is one difference. It does need a grounding electrode system, where a feeder tap would not except where it serves a separate building or structure.

A feeder tap must terminate at a single overcurrent device. It must not be of less ampacity than the device - some exceptions like motor loads.

A service conductor can supply multiple service disconnecting means - you are usually limited to 6 devices at a particular service location. The service conductor that feeds multiple disconnects usually only needs sized for the calculated load and not necessarily for the total rating of the overcurrent devices.

kwired

Electron manager
my understanding is that if it is outdoors then there is no limit on length...correct?

Correct, with conditions.

2008 NEC

(5) Outside Taps of Unlimited Length. Where the conductors are located outdoors of a building or structure, except at the point of load termination, and comply with all of the following conditions:
(1) The conductors are protected from physical damage in an approved manner.
(2) The conductors terminate at a single circuit breaker or a single set of fuses that limit the load to the ampacity of the conductors. This single overcurrent device shall be permitted to supply any number of additional overcurrent devices on its load side.
(3) The overcurrent device for the conductors is an integral part of a disconnecting means or shall be located immediately adjacent thereto.
(4) The disconnecting means for the conductors is installed at a readily accessible location complying with one of the following:
a. Outside of a building or structure
b. Inside, nearest the point of entrance of the conductors
c. Where installed in accordance with 230.6, nearest the point of entrance of the conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.