290 feet of service cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I have about 290 feet of cable to run, and still need to do a calculation for voltage drop, but if using #350KCMIL 3 conductor cable... whats's the best way to terminate into a panel?...no lug to handle the gauge of wire, and reducer type crimps take up space so may need to attach an pull box to the main Combination Panel from power source?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
can you install a vertical wireway at the end of your run ?
Makes for a nice pull point and you can transition.

bob

Is your calculated load near 310 amps? If the load is less, you can make it. VD = 2.9%

Last edited:

Howard Burger

Burndy lugs and vault

Burndy lugs and vault

I'm assuming the cable is for a resi. install. I ran 500mcm URD 550 ft. to a house. Put a 24 in x 24 in. junction box above ground in the wet area near the meter, and used a fiberglass vault in the dry soil at the other end, then used Burndy lugs to neck it down to 4/0 to the meter and to the service panel. Does this help? And is your cable just 3 cdr. or 3 cdr + ground?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A Jb or wireway as Gus suggested would be the way to go unless you can change the lugs in the panel. I'll assume it is a main breaker and probably not possible.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd do a VD calc first before worrying about using 350? Isn't that getting the cart before the horse...?

You might be able to get away with 250, if so, that should go right into the lugs.

powerplay

250Kcmil is only good for half the run. I haven't checked 350 yet for it's acceptable distance. Lugs go up to 300Kcmil in some panels, but the cable is not as common but which I may order to fit into the lugs. I have also priced an 14 by 14 electrical box to allow an easier install, but was curious what options i may have. The crimp to reduce the 350 to 250 are an extra $130. plus Hypress tool rental. Thought it would be wise to check for feedback for an expensive service install...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.