Splicing in LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaGreg

Have three #2 and one #4 AL XHHW conductors coming into 2 inch PVC LB and four of the same going out. The LB is rated at 63 C.I. The distance between the 2 entrances is less than the six times the pipe size. Can I splice in this LB?

BJ Conner

No

No

You could probably do it with a steel LB. You will probably have to hammer them back in to get the cover on and that will probably break the body.
Also they are not listed for splices.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
You could probably do it with a steel LB. You will probably have to hammer them back in to get the cover on and that will probably break the body.
Also they are not listed for splices.

I disagree They just have to have their volume marked on them.
see NEC 2008 314.16 (C) 2

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Have three #2 and one #4 AL XHHW conductors coming into 2 inch PVC LB and four of the same going out. The LB is rated at 63 C.I. The distance between the 2 entrances is less than the six times the pipe size. Can I splice in this LB?

Did you calculate the fill to see if the LB is large enough? If not the point is moot.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The point would be moot anyway, the volume allowance is only for conductors # 6 awg and smaller.

Rick

Where does it say that?

314.16(C) Conduit Bodies.
(1) General. Conduit bodies enclosing 6 AWG conductors or smaller, other than short-radius conduit bodies as described in 314.5, shall have a cross-sectional area not less than twice the cross-sectional area of the largest conduit or tubing to which they can be attached. The maximum number of conductors permitted shall be the maximum number permitted by Table 1 of Chapter 9 for the conduit or tubing to which it is attached.
(2) With Splices, Taps, or Devices. Only those conduit bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer with their volume shall be permitted to contain splices, taps, or devices. The maximum number of conductors shall be calculated in accordance with 314.16(B). Conduit bodies shall be supported in a rigid and secure manner.

RUWired

Its in the quote you posted. "shall be calculated in accordance with 314.16(B)". Table 314.16 only lists conductors up to # 6 awg.
Rick

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
(1) General. Conduit bodies enclosing 6 AWG conductors or smaller, other than short-radius conduit bodies as described in 314.5, shall have a cross-sectional area not less than twice the cross-sectional area of the largest conduit or tubing to which they can be attached.

Why the limitation to 6AWG on this rule? Is there a separate rule for area in the conduit body for wires over 6?

jumper

(1) General. Conduit bodies enclosing 6 AWG conductors or smaller, other than short-radius conduit bodies as described in 314.5, shall have a cross-sectional area not less than twice the cross-sectional area of the largest conduit or tubing to which they can be attached.

Why the limitation to 6AWG on this rule? Is there a separate rule for area in the conduit body for wires over 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.