Parking lot lighting design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the lighting design problem I am working on. I have worked through most of it but I could use some additional assistance.

Design a series lighting scheme with 15 luminaries staggered by 100 feet down a right of way, power a trailer and provide lighting for a parking lot. The trailer operates at 1 phase 120/240 V and has a 100 amp breaker panel and it is found that four luminaries are needed to provide the necessary illumination for the parking lot. There is 480 V 1P 3W coming from the substation. Currently my design has the 480 V going to a main panel and from there, feeding two sub panels. The first sub-panel has a 25 kVA step down transformer 120/240 1P 3W to power the trailer and the four 265 VA luminaries at the parking lot. The second subpanel powers the series of 15 luminaries (150 W rating each) at 480 V.

I have designed the main panel as a 225 amp panel, but I am not sure how to size the main breaker for the panel? I did calculate the individual circuit breaker from the primary of the transformer to be 80 amp and a 20 amp breaker for the series lighting load.​

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't see why you need a main panel and two subpanels when one main panel is enough...???

Also best to put the stepdown transformer at the trailer end of the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.