Deration/ current carrying conductors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deration/ current carrying conductors

Are neutral conductors considered to be current carrying when you figure deration for # of wires in a conduit? 7 #12 THHN hot conductors and 7#12 neutral conductors in 3/4" emt. Would you use 50% deration for 10 or more wires or 70% for 7-9 wires? The circuits are 120volt and go to dedicated GFCI receptacles in a commercial kitchen. I was always under the impression that the neutrals were counted, another electrician I spoke with today says they are not. Thanks.

If you have 2 wire circuits then the neutrals are all current carrying. You have 14 CCC.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Maybe the guy I was speaking with was talking about 3 wire circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by nizak View Post

3-wire circuits (MWBC'S) fed from a 208Y/120 volt source would count as 3 CCC's.
        Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

The only way I can think of them not counting as "the guy" you were speaking with mentioned, is if it happened to be a 240/120 single phase system and you were sharing a neutral on two circuits or a 208Y/120 system and you were sharing a neutral on 3 circuits.
          310. You might want to take a moment and look a 310.,15(B)(4) {pg 147 in '08|
          At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by nizak View Post
            Sure if you had a single phase MWBC or a 4 wire MWBC on a 3 phase system then you usually don't count the neutral
            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
            I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Working...
            X