NM cable/ conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

How would one go about figuring the number of NM cables(sheath included) that would be allowed in a particular size conduit? These would be installed in PVC conduit that would be used as a protective sleeve down a wall. I realize that derating also has to be taken into consideration, but am unsure as to the wire fill since the sheath is still on . Thanks

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
look at the first page of chapter 9, note 9. I have always taken it as the width of the NM cable is the diameter. In other words, if the NM cable is 1/2" wide, the conductor is to be considered 1/2 inch in diameter.

glene77is

look at the first page of chapter 9, note 9. I have always taken it as the width of the NM cable is the diameter. In other words, if the NM cable is 1/2" wide, the conductor is to be considered 1/2 inch in diameter.

Agree.
Considering the potential for 'jamming', :p
this is a good interpretation. :happyyes:

inspector141

It is not necessary to size the raceway or derate the ampacity of the conductors. Chapter 9, Note 2 says table 1 is for complete raceway systems and is not for protecting exposed wiring from physical damage.
So what does this mean? As long as the cable will fit into the raceway, it is compliant. Derating is already required whether it is a cable or raceway in 310.15(B)(3)(A)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is not necessary to size the raceway or derate the ampacity of the conductors. Chapter 9, Note 2 says table 1 is for complete raceway systems and is not for protecting exposed wiring from physical damage.
So what does this mean? As long as the cable will fit into the raceway, it is compliant. Derating is already required whether it is a cable or raceway in 310.15(B)(3)(A)

I agree as long as the sleeve does not extend between boxes or cabinets etc.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
"as a protective sleeve down a wall."

Darn, I overlooked that when I read the OP :ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.