Calculating reactance for multiplex wire sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

EReese

I am currently trying to redo some standards at work. The old standards were hand calculated and there is no trail. The wire sizes used are multiplex wire sizes such as #4 Al TX (triplex) and 2/0 Al TX. There is an excel sheet with all of the information. However, I need to add and delete some wire sizes but I don't know how to find the reactance in ohms/kft for multiplex wiring. Mostly i just need triplex. There is an equation in excel I can see, but I do not know how they came to the equation at all. Can anyone tell me where I can look to find the correct equations or give me any advise?

The equation that is currently in the excel sheet is:
= 0.377*(0.1404*LOG10(Overall Diameter/Conductor Radius))+ 0.0153

I don't know where any of the constant numbers are. And also in most places I look, I have the GMR and the conductor diameter. So I am hoping there is a way to use these to calculate it rather than the overall diameter.

Thanks to anyone that can help or tries to help.

EReese

Ahh thank you very much. I have been searching for quite a bit of the day and could not find anything even close to the equation. I really appreciate you finding this for me!!

Thanks again!!!

beanland

Ask the Manufacturer

Ask the Manufacturer

Most manufacturers like Southwire and Okonite are willing to provide impedance data. Even if you calculate the impedance yourself, it is good to have it validated.

EReese

Thank you. I don't have the information on what wire comes from where but maybe I will look into getting that information so I can just reach the manufacturers.

EReese

I guess my question now is if I can relate this equation to GMR instead of using the center to center spacing between conductors? Most information I have or can find online have GMR information. I don't have any information on spacing or thickness of insulation either. So I am having trouble using the equation provided.
Can anyone help me with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.