Required vs. Recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.

CONTROL FREQ

Been workin a lot of O.T., didn't go straight to bed for a change. Thought I might ask a simple one for you fellas (and gals) that know the book verbatim. Long story short... we rewired a huge building from scratch thanks to "crack-heads" inhabiting and essentially stealing everything copper, brass, aluminum, or anything else commonly sold for "scrap". My small problem arised when an inspector told my boss that the installed GFCI receptacles, will have to be tested once a month. Not a big deal right? Just blow a little sunshine in the general direction of this guy's posterior, and everything will be fine... of course we will push the 'TEST' button once per month:angel:... Not so easy. Now the boss thinks this might be a necessity in ALL of the buildings. I told him of course, that I always was told it is reccomended but I tend to just press the test button whenever I see a GFI... merely out of habit. IS THIS AN ACTUAL RULE NOW? I didn't even bother trying to look it up, but if it is (OR isn't hopefully), I need a code to reference. If you can help me out, I'll do my best to help back sometime.:slaphead::dunce:

cadpoint

The device is installed from or because of a Code.
A timely test is not your concern.

The device is for the users safety not for you to be qualifing it working statis, verses a service contract.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
From OSHA

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/construction/electrical_incidents/gfci.html

Because GFCIs are so complex, they require testing on a regular basis. Test permanently wired devices monthly, and portable-type GFCIs before each use. All GFCIs have a built-in test circuit, with test and reset buttons, that triggers an artificial ground-fault to verify protection. Ground-fault protection, such as GFCIs provide, is required by OSHA in addition to (not as a substitute for) general grounding requirements.

We test the jobsite GFCIs and keep a log of doing so.

CONTROL FREQ

The device is installed from or because of a Code.
A timely test is not your concern.

The device is for the users safety not for you to be qualified verses a service contract.

What I meant to say is WE installed the equipment per code. It WILL be my responsibility to maintain the equipment (or see to it). I guess the "meat" of the question here is... IS THERE A REQUIRED test interval for GFCI outlets in an industrial setting? Because if so, it would seem like a lot of added record keeping, and I might even have to hire a full time 'button pusher' for all these buildings:lol:. It is our building, we wired it, we'll maintain it. Just one jack-ass, off-the-cuff remark, and my boss is adamant about finding a code reference to get us out of this, or a button pushing record keeper.:cry: you know how it gets, I'll probably just tell him 'if the inspector can show me a rule, then I'll gladly follow it.:?

cadpoint

Thats not what they asked and while General Safety and understanding of Electrical Power is always a major concern in All Respects...

2nd Paragragh from link..

"The GFCI will not protect you from line contact hazards (i.e. a person holding two "hot" wires, a hot and a neutral wire in each hand, or contacting an overhead power line). However, it protects against the most common form of electrical shock hazard, the ground-fault. It also protects against fires, overheating, and destruction of wire insulation.

It can always be a the expression of

GFCI General Fault Circuit By an Individual

But then again that's what where trying to install to protect People...

:)

CONTROL FREQ

Thats not what they asked and while General Safety and understanding of Electrical Power is always a major concern in All Respects...

2nd Paragragh from link..

"The GFCI will not protect you from line contact hazards (i.e. a person holding two "hot" wires, a hot and a neutral wire in each hand, or contacting an overhead power line). However, it protects against the most common form of electrical shock hazard, the ground-fault. It also protects against fires, overheating, and destruction of wire insulation.

It can always be a the expression of

GFCI General Fault Circuit By an Individual

But then again that's what where trying to install to protect People...

:)

That's good stuff! Thanks for the help.:lol:

rcwilson

NEC _-110.3 (B) "Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and the labeling." GFCI instructions say to test it once a month.

NFPA 70E "Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace"
110.9 Use of Equipment, (C) "GFCI Protection Devices. GFCI protection devices shall be tested per manufacturer's instructions."

Not testing a GFCI once a month could lead to an OSHA violation for an employer. No violation for the installer.

All vending machines require GFCI outlets. Most are located behind the heavy machine. Instant violation?

Last edited:

CONTROL FREQ

Fine, follow the link...

The original OP is not always the tale of the tape... Your good...

HUH? somebody else already posted the same question... I shouldv'e known. searching the archives would be the same as searching through the NEC, IEEE, and OSHA, among countless other "authorities", not to mention local JERKisdictions... guess I was just being lazy. :lol: I thought OP meant original poster (me?) guess I just haven't caught on to all this social networking crap yet... but I really do appreciate any input I receive.

CONTROL FREQ

NEC _-110.3 (B) "Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and the labeling." GFCI instructions say to test it once a month.

NFPA 70E "Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace"
110.9 Use of Equipment, (C) "GFCI Protection Devices. GFCI protection devices shall be tested per manufacturer's instructions."

Not testing a GFCI once a month could lead to an OSHA violation for an employer. No violation for the installer.

All vending machines require GFCI outlets. Most are located behind the heavy machine. Instant violation?

sorry, I had to print that off. and i type slow. faster if i don't mess with capitals and correct grammar, or punctuation. that was really helpful, though dissapointing. my boss is completely "by-the-book" and even though i've never worked anywhere that we checked GFCI's on a monthly PM (and i've worked some big places), I am sure someone will be pushing buttons, at least a couple days a month from now on... pain in my neck, BUT not nearly as painful as if 1 single device failed. THANK YOU GENTLEMEN.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Not sure if this has any bearing on the topic, but new GFCI's are required to have self-testing features built in.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
When you say self testing do you mean they trip themselves?
I would hate that if I was the homeowner, especially if it tripped on test and ruined what was in the fridge or freezer while I was gone out of town.

I did find this!

http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/press/pdfs/HUBBELL_GFCI_WHITEPAPERlaunch.pdf

No, they don't trip themselves. But they do a "self test", and I think a red LED lights up if they fail. They probably don't test the entire trip mechanism. From the article, it sounds like monthly testing is still required. But I like the phrase:

Despite the once a month requirement, it is known that most users do
not test their ground fault receptacles at any point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.