Best grounding method listed in 690.47(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

I'm trying to determine which of the (3) grounding electrode conductor methods listed in 690.47(C) would be the best for my application.

I have a new small structure which will have both a new AC main panel as well as 3 inverters connected on the load side of this panel. Per 690.47 I need a grounding electrode for the DC side of the inverters, and per 250.32 I need an grounding electrode for the new AC panel bonded to the ground bus in the panel. In looking at 690.47 I see there are (3) options for installing both the DC and AC grounding electrode conductors.

For this instance the inverters are located directly next to the AC panel. Therefore I find that installing two seperate AC and DC electrodes and bonding them as listed in option 1 (690.47(C)(1)) would require driving two ground rods in close proximity (seperated by 6ft as required)

The second option (690.47(C)(2)) would allow me to install one ground rod at the location of the equipment but would then require me to tap the electrode itself or tap the main grounding electode conductor to supply the three inverters.

The third option (690.47(C)(3)) would allow me to install one grounding electrode and connect it to the ground bus of the AC panel. From there I can then run a combined GEC/EGC to the inverters by connecting directly to the ground bus in the AC panel. This would also allow me to not have to run an EGC to each inverter. This seems like it would be the easiest of the 3 options. My question is if I run a combined GEC/ECG from the ground bus in the AC panel can I then tap this conductor as listed in 250.64(C) in order to connect to all 3 inverters?

Although option 3 seems like the best option in this case I'm curious if there is a reason for choosing one of these options over the other or if one is a better practice? Do you guys agree that option 3 is my best be in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.