static on phone lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyrice

recently we changed out an FPE panel.When we tied the #10 ground from the phone company block in the basement ceiling to our grounding electrode system the customer said all the phone lines were staticy.Even though we are required to bond all systems,I diconnected phone ground and just put a wire nut on it.I'm not sure what caused this problem,but I know I can't leave it this way.There is no other grounding electrode (small ground rod) installed on phone system.#10 is coming off screw with yellow wires on phone block.help will be appreciated.Thanks.

SOG38

Phone line static

Phone line static

I have experienced this before. If the block is inside of the house and this is generally not done this way any more. The block (demarcation block) is also a lightning arrester. When the arrestors have been hit by a lightning stroke often a carbon path is created. This will induce noise. The block is required to be grounded and tied to a unified ground. It might be wise to get the TELCO involved.
Hope this helps.

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
A 'protector' in telcospeak is an overvoltage shunt. There was a carbon block with a gap. When the voltage exceeded the expected, an arc would jump and often leave a carbon-track in place.

This was desired. They do not want the protector failing open. The goal was to know the pair had taken a hit & have Repair come out to replace the carbons. (Now, of course, we'll see Alfred E. Newman elected before you can get Ma to dispatch anyone, but I digress.)

If lifting the ground cures the static, the protectors have done their job. Have your customer report the static & hope for a truck roll. {But not this week in Verizontal-land; they are out on strike....}

Status
Not open for further replies.