3 phase panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

montericci

During a recent project a 100A, 120/208Y panelboard was purchased.
It was supposed to be a 100A, 120/240 single phase panelboard but an oops was created by the engineer, in that he spec'd a single phase panelboard on the one-line and 3 phase 120/208y on the panel schedule.

Can this panelboard still be used to feed 120 and 240V single phase loads?
If so how are the single phase feeds wired?
And is it allowable per the NEC?

Thanks,

TomY

Skip the C phase

Skip the C phase

You could hook the two hot legs to A and B phases of the panel board and not use C. Just skip the C phase on all the breakers that go in. I wouldn't recommend it though its going to be confusing to anyone who comes after you. You prob wont have enough spaces either. My guess would be it's prob not legal.

Eng

I'm 99% positive that this violates the UL listing and labeling requirement. NEC 110.3.B and it is just a bad idea to use the panelboard in this manner as it will cause confusion to the next electrician, maintenance staff, or engineer that encounters it.

A 100A panelboard is pretty cheap, get it replaced with the correct voltage and phase.

Rsteenson

Single phase 208V would still be nominal to a 230V single phase rated peice of equipment. I dont understand why this would be illegal?

montericci

During a recent project a 100A, 120/208Y panelboard was purchased.
It was supposed to be a 100A, 120/240 single phase panelboard but an oops was created by the engineer, in that he spec'd a single phase panelboard on the one-line and 3 phase 120/208y on the panel schedule.

Can this panelboard still be used to feed 120 and 240V single phase loads?
If so how are the single phase feeds wired?
And is it allowable per the NEC?

Thanks,

Thanks guys for your help. I've decided to just have the electrician exchange the interior of that panel and do the job correctly. The number of spaces wouldn't work and Frankensteining a panel is just a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.