Transformer LV secondary tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

I have a transformer secondary LV application that I beleive is a tap of a transformer secondary conductor. The secondary of a 2500kVA 480V secondary transformer has a set of (4) 535kCMIL cables with a combined ampaciy of 2912A terminating into a 2000A breaker. Tapped off the line side of this 200A breaker is one set of 250MCM cables terminating into a 400A breaker and another set of 2/0AWG cables terminating into a 150A breaker.

Looking at this I would say this is a violation of 240.21(C) because we cannot tap a transformer secondary conductor or in other words we "cannot tap a tap".

I guess however I may be a bit confused from the discussion in my other post regarding supervised locations and weather or not we are now allowed to tap a transformer secondary conductor if we are dealing with a supervised location?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Off the top of my head (not the best place), I cannot recall any code provision that would allow the 'tap of a tap' on the LV secondary of a transformer.
However, places I would look, include service entrance equipment, fire pumps, monitoring/metering, and surge protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.