Costco and Static Shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The last few time I went to our local costco store I noticed that I was getting a constant shock pushing the shopping cart (rubber wheels) while I had rubber soles on. I only noticed it when the back of my hand touched the metal part of the cart- I could not feel it with the front side of my hand.

It also seemed to happen when I was under the high bay lights but I didn't spend much time checking it out. I am curious as to why I seem to be the only one complaining. Next time I will bring someone to stand in my spot and see if they are getting the shock also-- I almost asked a stranger but decided not to go there. :D

Any one want to shed some light on this. I guess the rubber does not help...

eHunter

I too have experienced the shock from touching the cart/basket metal. The Atlanta Costco attributes the static generation to the epoxy floor sealer. Their "fix" was to install static dissipating chains to the cart/basket frames that drag the floor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You may want to check out the enclosed magazine link pages 12 and 14 for the answer.

http://electricalbusiness.clbmedia.dgtlpub.com/2012/2012-11-30/home.php?page_view=12

Enjoy:D

Interesting article- Thanks

I too have experienced the shock from touching the cart/basket metal. The Atlanta Costco attributes the static generation to the epoxy floor sealer. Their "fix" was to install static dissipating chains to the cart/basket frames that drag the floor.
So this is a Costco issue? That would be odd.

SG-1

I get a static shock when moving my tool box. it has plastic wheels, a metal body, & plastic top. My boots are Electrical Hazard Type. The aisle I must cross has a coating of some type. If I move the box & only touch the plastic top, no problem. When I change my grip & touch the metal body, ZAP! :cry:

My solution is to always touch both the insulated top & the metal body while in motion. I suspect this would also work at Costco. Keep one finger on the shiny metal as you cruise the store.

RLyons

I was installing hundreds of light fixtures in a apartment building and every time Id touch the wires, switch or door handle ZAP. I started carrying around a light bulb and would discharge the static by holding the glass of the bulb and touching the bulb base to the switch, wires, door handles ect... Looked silly but I was tired of getting shocked.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

We had the same issue at a new grocery store. Was worried that it was the cases originally, but they fixed it the same way.

MarineTech

Equipment: Timberland Pro Titan ASTM Electrical Hazard workboots and cotton brown gloves.

I had a static generating cart one day at Sam's Club on a cold day (Dry air inside store). I was not a perfect insulator, my charge would slowly bleed off as I walked, but the cart's wheels (plastic and bent and rubbing in their metal housing from abuse) would transfer charge to the cart at an astounding rate. At some point when my hand (with cotton gloves) would venture to far from the insulating plastic cart grip to the cart metal frame, and ZAP :eek:, as charge was transfered to me.

As per the article, I find it interesting the ESD event to the metal case (housing) was able to disrupt the 5V logic supply. I would take a closer look at the equipment with the manufacturer to try and understand the coupling path. It may be the equipment was not installed or repaired properly.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So this is a Costco issue? That would be odd.
I did some work for Costco, one thing I can attest to is that to the greatest extend possible EVERYTHING is EXACTLY the same from one store to anther. There are about 6 different layouts across the country and in a few cases they moved into existing buildings, but vendors for equipment, contruction methods, supplies etc. is all the same from one to another. So if they made a mistake on the type of sealant that they used the first time they used it, that mistake would have pervaded in all the stores they built until the problem was discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.