Use Foam Sealan or the red fire block on vertical holes in single D-welling unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'donisR

I Passed the electrical rough inspection using the yellow Foam Sealant in all vertical holes with romex cables and data cables but the frame inspector wants me to take off all the yellow foam and fill the holes again with red fire stopping caulk. Is there any requirement to use fire stopping materials in a D-welling unit? there isn't fire stopping walls in the house.

cadpoint

The building code is getting you. Yes your sealing is required, if left open it turns into a chimney.

Think of it this way if the contents of the can is flammable then the product is too. Bugs and other critters can go right through foam. Fire paste not so much.

One also has to remember that any wall is considerd an assembly that when breaching that assembly you have to repair to meet or excide what was done. (Ok my layman answer of things UL)

3M makes some nice chaulk.

RICK NAPIER

From the 2012 IRC
R302.11 Fireblocking.
In combustible construction, fireblocking shall be provided to cut off all concealed draft openings (both vertical and horizontal) and to form an effective fire barrier between stories, and between a top story and the roof space.

Fireblocking shall be provided in wood-frame construction in the following locations:

1. In concealed spaces of stud walls and partitions, including furred spaces and parallel rows of studs or staggered studs, as follows:1.1. Vertically at the ceiling and floor levels.1.2. Horizontally at intervals not exceeding 10 feet (3048 mm).
2. At all interconnections between concealed vertical and horizontal spaces such as occur at soffits, drop ceilings and cove ceilings.
3. In concealed spaces between stair stringers at the top and bottom of the run. Enclosed spaces under stairs shall comply with Section R302.7.
4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires at ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion. The material filling this annular space shall not be required to meet the ASTM E 136 requirements.
5. For the fireblocking of chimneys and fireplaces, see Section R1003.19.6. Fireblocking of cornices of a two-family dwelling is required at the line of dwelling unit separation.

O'donisR

I never had a problem in a single dwelling unit, I always use the yellow foam can that home depot and many supplies sell that is no fire block, and I been doing residential electrical wiring since 1997, I will change the methods, Thank you

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I Passed the electrical rough inspection using the yellow Foam Sealant in all vertical holes with romex cables and data cables but the frame inspector wants me to take off all the yellow foam and fill the holes again with red fire stopping caulk. Is there any requirement to use fire stopping materials in a D-welling unit? there isn't fire stopping walls in the house.

Just FWIW, you can also get recognized fire caulk in orange and yellow. But if you use anything but red you may have to save the can to show the inspector. :)

Darr247

Great Stuff does come in a Fireblock formula, though from the reviews on their own site I would not use it, personally.

I see firestop caulk in standard size caulk gun tubes in all the big box home improvement stores, but I can't say I've ever seen that particular type of Great Stuff there, even though their 'where to buy' page lists Home Depot, Lowe's and Menards.

kwired

Electron manager

Nobody has yet asked just what the sealed hole passes through? If it is wood, which I am assuming from your description it is, tell him where to stick his fire stopping caulk, he must want the caulk to still be there when the structure all around it has burned away. The only thing that gives a wood framed wall any significant fire rating is what it is covered with - you are not passing through such covering from what I understand but if you are then he may be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.