Minimum Height for Main Building Disconnect Swithc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo1

Excluding exceptions Article 240.24 and other areas of the NEC state the highest position for the center of a switch handle 6 ft 7 in above the working platform. Is there a minimum height for a main disconnect switch?

I have come across a 600 AMP, 240 VAC main building disconnect switch on the outside wall where the center for switch handle is about 3 ft above finish grade. I cannot find this height as a Code violation. However, directly above the main disconnect switch is an set of stairs which does violate Article 110.26 (A) (3) for a work space height of 6.5 ft or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With the exception of some specific situations such as Art 551.77 there is no minimum height for disconnect means.

Bwas

I have been required to move a service disconnect up to avoid a flood plain based on a general nec reference. Can't remember the article

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
@Bwas

Chances are the locality is observing various FEMA requirements for placing electrical equipment within a known flood plain. Here is a PDF (unless a MOD removes it) for a FEMA document that may assist you. http://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1859-25045-5831/fema_isaac_ra_2.pdf

The NEC has a provision for equipment located in potential flooding areas (e.g. 517.35(C), 517.44, 695.12(C),700.10(C), 700.12, 701.12, etc.) to be considered but chances are the locality (as with the ones I am familiar with) have a local amendment that observes flood plain requirements held within the zoning department. Just depends on the stated flood plains in your area.

probably not much help but it's what I got based on my experience as an AHJ.

Edit: forgot to add. In order to comply with Section 240.24; the local jurisdiction mandates a working platform (that complies with all requirements of 110.26(A) included) be installed with a permanent fixed ladder or stairs. So its kind of a "if you building it, they must comply" kinda thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.