Sloppy Dangerous work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

First off sorry if this re-posted. Thought I loaded it in but could not find it.

I was on a job site the other day and came across some interesting conduit runs and unusual install methods. First off I notice about a 1,500' run of 4"EMT that was mounted off the ground by concrete blocks and fastened with uni-strut. There were 2 junction boxes cut in the first one at about 800' and the 2nd one about another 400' after the first one. I had asked what the flex was for and was told that it was for expansion. I do not think it is working as if you look at the couplings you can see that there has been movement(pic attached).

In my opinion looks like pretty sloppy workmanship and questions if it even meets code. I do not know how the conduit can be properly grounded if there is flex on both ends that isolates the conduit. To top it off this contains 13,800 volts.

IMG_20141002_113209605.jpg

The above photo is typical of all the 13,800 conduit runs on this site that being flex runs from the conduit to either the junction box or equipment. Also of note in many locations as shown above is the support for the conduit is almost 5' back from the end of he conduit.

ZEjx7CLq-HCJm0JbzHoXt7kIgkByZc4gA8Tqa3vT5II=w403-h226-p-no
s5kuKL-pAlzedRMBJ6ry0EEDK3NFK8OdCMsobwoVOiM=w334-h187-p-no
qAgYWmSc-oI8yoc0hDfRI3paPH11zF8s_S24rnsxquM=w334-h187-p-no

above photos showing movement of the conduit.

-9fnIHHiiUI64TOyMgZbzBilCzuLamtU72IL7QDFgm8=w663-h189-p-no

The balancing conduit. 4" EMT supported by one strut clip in the middle and flex on the ends. Nice way to install 13,800.

IMG_20141002_084409317.jpg

Typical 13,800 volt junction box install. Notice the 16' run of 1" EMT unsupported with the coupling floating in the air. Wonder how long that will last.

John1T

If my inspector here in town saw this, he would have his violation book out in a flash, and would be on the phone to the contractor right then and there.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The flex section can only serve as expansion relief if you start out with a bend or offset in it. And even then you nerd a long enough section relative to the diameter of the flex.

69gp

I am curious how you know it is 13800, is it a fenced or protected utility ares/installation? They have there own rules.

Its is within an enclosed fenced area. Although it is labeled 13,200 I would suspect it is 13,800 which is the norm for this area. Besides whats 600 volts if your at 13,000?? This is not utility but privately owned.

IMG_20141002_131407154.jpg

GerryB

Its is within an enclosed fenced area. Although it is labeled 13,200 I would suspect it is 13,800 which is the norm for this area. Besides whats 600 volts if your at 13,000?? This is not utility but privately owned.

IMG_20141002_131407154.jpg
sorry to question you, I just always think of the high voltages being at the top of the pole. So if the grass gets too tall and the guy mowing it runs over a weak coupling he's toast:thumbsdown:

69gp

sorry to question you, I just always think of the high voltages being at the top of the pole. So if the grass gets too tall and the guy mowing it runs over a weak coupling he's toast:thumbsdown:

They do not drive over the conduit. At least not yet. But they do step on it when crossing in some area's. Trimming is done by weed whacking. Its only a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.