Replacing existing fixtures where old wiring has 60 C rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEYDOG

I am interested in knowing how many of you replace the existing Romex or install a junction box in the attic to install a short piece of 90 degree C when the old Romex has a 60 C rating when replacing existing fixtures. No other remodeling going on. I know that most all fixtures now say terminate to 90 C wires.

Curious as to how many of you actually install 90 degree C wire.

Also wondering if fixtures with LEDs generate much less heat. If so do those fixture also say connect to 90 C conductors.

templdl

I am interested in knowing how many of you replace the existing Romex or install a junction box in the attic to install a short piece of 90 degree C when the old Romex has a 60 C rating when replacing existing fixtures. No other remodeling going on. I know that most all fixtures now say terminate to 90 C wires.

Curious as to how many of you actually install 90 degree C wire.

Also wondering if fixtures with LEDs generate much less heat. If so do those fixture also say connect to 90 C conductors.
Yes, and how may times have you run across a residence wired with the old 60deg rated TW wire where the insulation falls off of the wire when you attempt to change a fixture. You also observed that instead if the maximum wattage of 60w and find a 75 or even 100w bulb installed.
Copper wire is not only a good conductor of electricity but it is also a very good conductor on heat. The the heat of the wiring to the socket itself simply follows the copper wire into the junction box and possibly beyond.
Now you have a junction box with bare wire when the insulation crumbles off and possibly the wire insulation which supplies the junction box is even damaged which leads to and even bigger issue.
So the 90degC rated wire requirement quite often may be just the tip of the iceburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.