Hazardous Locations -Propane Filling Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACP

I have a customer that fills propane bottles inside their facility. From what I can find in NEC 2011 code classifies the entire area as Class 1 Division 2. However my customer says they abide by NFPA-72 and that only requires a 15' radius around the fill nozzle be classified and the rest of the building is standard wiring method. Does anyone else have a better understanding of this? My concern is the existing wiring outside the 15' radius is EMT, SS fittings and open faced receptacles

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Other than the fact that NFPA 72 isn't a basis for classification, I don't know enough about the operation to make much of a comment.

Propane is one of the nastiest common volatiles out there. Under the right conditions, it drops like a rock, doesn't diffuse readily and it can carry several hundred feet while remaining ignitable.

nhee2

NFPA 58 would likely be the applicable code to classify the area. Unfortunately I don't have a copy with me

nhee2

I took a look at NFPA 58 2011 edition - it includes the following in table 6.22.2.2 regarding area classification of areas used for filling cylinders:

Cylinder filling
Indoors with ventilation Within 5ft (1.5m) in all directions from a point of transfer -- Division 1
Beyond 5ft (1.5m) and entire room -- Division 2

Status
Not open for further replies.