punch kit with impact driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to spring for the Milwaukee M18 punch kit. My supply house is running a promotion for $300 off with a hydraulic trade in. Anyway I just read a bit where someone said they use a manual punch and drive it with an impact driver and it's works great. Anyone ever tried this?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I picked up the M18 Milwaukee kit last year and so far it has been great. I like the cross-hairs on the Milwaukee punches.

Someone on this or another forum tried using an impact driver on standard punches and apparently the bearings of the punch bolt did not last long. After reading this I decided not to try it.

I can't see how it would be a good idea, either. The stresses are all wrong- the punch itself is not a chisel and the drive screw itself is free-turning. Now, if you had a high-torque very low speed drill, that could work, but it might also rip your arms off :happyno:.

In general, I only use impact wrenches for loosening things and for driving/removing lag-screws in wood, but then I usually finish off driving with a hand-operated wrench. Also IIRC there are some types of bolts that you explicitly aren't supposed to use an impact wrench on.

Just evaluating all my options....this promotion is probably the way to go - 13 something for the 1/2 - 4 kit After rebate. I don't currently have any punches and dies so a set of those would be up there anyway.

I could see the impact action being tough on the bearing. That said it is just a $10 banded thrust bearing....

norcal

I have used a pneumatic impact w/ a 1" socket a few times, did well for the few times tried it, the impact was handy as was the air supply, but could see the issue brought up by other posters though it is enough to make me think twice before doing it again.

shanky887614

I have used a pneumatic impact w/ a 1" socket a few times, did well for the few times tried it, the impact was handy as was the air supply, but could see the issue brought up by other posters though it is enough to make me think twice before doing it again.
there are impact rated punch sets, there a lot more expensive but i remember seeing some online

Status
Not open for further replies.